cannot open pictures saved from website

ZeBeDee001 16:29 11 Oct 03

currently running aol version 8.0 with windows xp home. i have had problems saving pictures from websites, on trying to re-open file i get the message invalid format. a friend who is running aol version 8.0 broadband with windows me has no problem, is there a setting i need to change to fix this problem.

MichelleC 16:33 11 Oct 03

It may be a compression issue. Try the fix here: click here;en-us;324761&Product=winxp

MichelleC 16:35 11 Oct 03

Why doesn't copying the url work? Anyway, this is what it says:

After you upgrade from Microsoft Windows 98 to Windows XP, you may not be able to save images from a Web site through America Online (AOL).

When you try to save an image, the .jpg file type does not appear in the Save As dialog box.
This behavior may occur when AOL's graphic compression option is turned on. When this option is on, the images are saved as the .art file type.
To resolve this issue, turn off graphic compression. To do this, follow these steps:
Connect to the Internet through AOL, and then visit the following AOL Web site: click here
Click My AOL.
On the Settings menu, click Preferences.
In the Preferences dialog box, click Internet Options (WWW).
In the Internet Options dialog box, click to clear the Always Compress Graphics dialog box.
Click to select the Never Compress Graphics dialog box.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

graham√ 17:20 11 Oct 03

MichelleC, MS links don't travel well! Save this in a folder, take out the space between \ and support. Copy and paste as required, adding the 6 digit number to suit.

graham√ 17:22 11 Oct 03

That should, of course, read / and support.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…