Cannot open OE in Windows XP

BillD 14:43 24 Aug 03

When I try to open OE6 in Windows XP(home) I get the message '...encountered a problem and has to close'. I have tried restoring to previous point, run SFC, re-installed SP1 and downloaded the latest update.
The report info. includes: App. Name msimn.exe,
Mod. Vers. 6.0.2800.1106, App. Vers. 6.0.2800.1106, Mod. Name. directdb.dll
Can anyone help please?

Forum Editor 16:48 24 Aug 03

reinstalling Internet Explorer?

You can do it by going to C:\program files\internet explorer and clicking on the ie6setup icon.

BillD 17:33 24 Aug 03

Thanks Forum Editor, no I haven't tried that.
However, I did get a solution from the Microsoft Newsgroup. Apparently problems involving directdb.dll and msoe.dll indicate corruption in the message store. The solution which worked for me was to remove folders.dbx to a new file. Then OE would open but you lose your file heirarchy. Folders.dbx appears to regenerate itself because when I looked again there was a copy in the message store. One then has a bit of a fag reinstating the file system (good discipline anyway) - the fact that I am able to send this because I received your email is proof that it worked for me!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…