Cannot open floppy

gudda96 08:10 27 May 04

I have over the months, saved text about pcs on floppies.

When disk 1 was full, I started disk 2 and finally disk 3.

I can no longer open disk 2 to copy to cd.

I get the following error message when I try.

"The drive

Diodorus Siculus 08:40 27 May 04

Try running scandisk on the floppy; they regularly don't work with XP though if they have been formatted on another OS.

Please try to finish the quote though giving the exact error message.

anon1 08:40 27 May 04

unfortunately your error message was clipped but I guess it is saying the drive is not accesable or something like that. It is most likely that the disk has become corrupt, maybe it was stored in the wrong place (if it is only the one disk that fails). You should be able to recover the info but it will not be easy. First though may sure that the disk is opening properly and try reinserting it a few times.

gudda96 09:06 27 May 04

Thanks for replies on both posts, here is the error box.

"the drive or network connection that the shortcot 3.5ink refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again."

I collect pc tips from a site and I saved them to disk 1>>then disk 2>>then disk 3 when each was full.

I have used each one many times to read up on an article and they are all kept in a floppy holder and this is the only one it has happened with.

I HAVE JUST done a scan using r/c but the same message appears.

Sir Radfordin 11:46 27 May 04

Are you using Windows XP?

gudda96 12:54 27 May 04

Yes I use XP

Fruit Bat 13:04 27 May 04

are you using a shortcut to the disks from your start menu / desktop? Have you tried opening the disk in Exploer /My computer?

Sir Radfordin 13:33 27 May 04

Whilst I have no conclusive proof on the matter I have doubts over XP's ability to handle floppy disks. I've had endless problems with two machines and am aware that others have had also.

The disc may read in another PC but once XP falls out with one my experience is they will never be friends again.

woodchip 13:43 27 May 04

This is Why you should backup to at least two floppy's of the same files. I think the files are gone

gudda96 14:19 27 May 04

Fruit Bat

Yes, I am using a floppy s/c but that cannot be problem as I can open diskd 1 and 3 plus all my other floppies.

I have tried my computer/floppy but strange enough, that drive is not working because of an unrelated cock up of mine "I think"

Djohn 15:37 27 May 04

This does appear to be a problem with floppies and versions of XP. [Pro. Home.]

My son brought a couple of floppies home a few weeks back and used my PC to open them, they had been created on 98se and his laptop using XP home does not have a floppy drive.

They opened fine on my PC. he made a couple of additions to the documents, saved the changes transfered them to a pen drive and loaded successfully back to his laptop.

He then decided he wanted to look at a couple more documents on the floppies, inserted them back into my XP machine and they would not open with the message "Files may be corrupt"

The only reason I can think of is the fact he worked on the documents direct from the floppies instead of loading them to my PC first, making the changes then re-saving.

Fortunately his colleague had the originals so all was not lost except for the time taken in contacting him and obtaining fresh copies. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…