cannot open .dbx files

rfred 12:30 16 Mar 06

My wife's computer crashed. We have backup which include .dbx files. I have put the back-up hard disk into my computer. Everything except the .dbx files (emails) can be opened. How can I transfer these dbx files, which show up in windows explorer, into my Outlook Express?

Giggle n' Bits 13:29 16 Mar 06

.dbx files, are these related to Email address or Email messege ? If yes then you open these with Outlook Express using Import option

If they are specific to a certain programme then that programme with have a option to Import the files back to the programme re-instatting the files to viewable data.

Giggle n' Bits 13:32 16 Mar 06

I will post back in a mo.

Giggle n' Bits 13:39 16 Mar 06

Ok, in outlook express choose File from the Top menu then Import. Then this will pop out a menu and select Messages.

Before this next step I understand that you are using Windows and outlook express. You will need to know which version of Outlook express you used most likely v6 if you have upgraded internet explorer too. Or if you have WinXP then its also Outlook Express v6.

Then select from the list Outlook Express then go next ansd highlight by click on Main Identity.

Then next and locate the DBX files (must be in One Folder) and ok.

This should do it.

Wak 19:21 16 Mar 06

Hi, If you are still having problems with your dbx files then click here
and download the OE Reader. This will enable you to read all the stored e-mails in DBX.
Hope this helps.

rfred 14:06 18 Mar 06

Dear Wak

Your program has been a life saver!!!!

My wife has discoverd that we can now not only read, but also move the files back into Outlook Express.---How???

In OEViewer open a file and highlight it.
In "File" click "Save selected..." and put the file into an appropriate place where easily retrived from.
The file can now be copied/moved into the Inbox of Outlook Express which of course has to be open.

The email now is a normal email in Outlook Express.

Many, many thanks for your help

rfred

GroupFC 17:00 18 Mar 06

Thanks for that - I have OEView, which is a similar program to OEReader from the same stable, and had been trying to work out how to get my old e-mails back into Outlook Express and now I know!

Wak 08:42 19 Mar 06

Great news. Only too glad to have been of help.
Cheers,
Wak.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…