Cannot open attachments

tonyx1302 13:05 23 Nov 03

Can someone help me please? When I receive emails with an attachment the att. doesn't open. All I get is the outline of the picture and a little red x in the top left hand corner. Even if I right click on the cross and select Show picture it doesn't load. I have emptied my temp Internet files and increased the disk space availalbe for temp Int files to 1800approx but still no luck
Thank you

A_World_Maker 13:18 23 Nov 03

check your Antivirus programme... it may have the extension in its list of attachments not to allow/show. Assuming you know who sent you the file.. and you know they aren't infected by any viruses, you might try turning this function off, while you look at the attachment... caution required here though.

pj123 13:50 23 Nov 03

Have you checked Tools, Options, Security and taken the tick out of "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus"???

tonyx1302 14:09 23 Nov 03

Many thanks pj 123 & World Maker. Have tried your suggestions but they haven't worked. Any other ideas?
Thanks again

Peverelli 15:21 23 Nov 03

Is this problem with all attachments or just with images? If it's the latter then the problem could be that whoever is sending the image is not attaching the image to the email correctly. The box with the red X in it simply tells you that there 'should' be an image there, but for some reason has not been downloaded to your PC.

pj123 15:24 23 Nov 03

What sort of attachments are they? You say "picture". If you would like to email me your email address I will send you an email with a simple picture attachment (jpg) and you can then tell me if you get it???

tonyx1302 18:05 23 Nov 03

Hi pj123 & Peverelli. The problem is with images.Today I received three emails with pictures (Arsenal Football) attachments. The text with the att. opened okay but I cannot open the images.I just get an empty box with a red x in the corner
pj123. I have sent you my email address as suggested.
Thanks you two for your help and interest.

TheTerminator 18:17 23 Nov 03

I have this problem. The only way I can resolve this is to "forward" the email which includes the attachments want to view, then you can then double click to open it.

Does that make sense? Does this resolve your query?
Thanks.

tonyx1302 18:29 23 Nov 03

Terminator. I saved the image to 'my docs' then forwarded it to myself and then double clicked on 'attachment' as per your suggestion and guess. Nothing!!
Thanks for your interest. Watch this space. I'll be back!

NEIL1960 21:12 23 Nov 03

i am having the same problem i am useing windows xp home i am to to computers its my first its a e machine

Gongoozler 21:27 23 Nov 03

Breitling, try this for an idea. In OE, select and right click on the attachment file name and select "Save as". Then save the file in a temporary folder. Then open the file in any picture viewer. My favourite is Irfanview (from click here). If the file won't open in Irfanview, then I suspect that the file is defective.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…