//some 3rd party need geo

Cannot make new folder

rawprawn 09:53 12 Mar 03

Yesterday I cleaned up my computer, getting rid of old files & programs. After that I defragged & wiped unused disc space ( this also wiped my system restore ) Everything seems OK but when I tried to make a new folder I get the message "Windows cannot find c:documents make sure you typed the name correctly" This happens on both my drives whatever I right click on. I am using XP Home SP! I have also had a message trying another time C:\system cannot find the device specified. Any help would be greatly appreciated, eg could I run repair on the XP install disc, would it affect SP1

AndySD 10:40 12 Mar 03

If you have the SP1 disk and a cd burner then make a Windows XP sp1 disk and use that for the repair click here

But first try System File Checker

Put your windows CD into the CD ROM and hold the shift key (the one with arrow pointing up, just above the Ctrl key on the left of your keyboard). Holding shift for a few seconds will stop the Windows CD from auto running, but the drive will still spin up to read the disk then spin back down again. Once it has spun down you can release the shift key.

Now click Start/All Programs/Accessories and choose Command Prompt. Type in

sfc /scannow

and hit enter. This will check and replace any damaged system files.

rawprawn 12:14 12 Mar 03

AndySD. Unfortunately System file checker didn't work, I will try to download & repair with SP1. I will let you know how I get on.

rawprawn 15:09 12 Mar 03

I borrowed an SP1 disc from a friend & reinstalled, but it hasn't made any difference. Any more ideas please anyone ?

AndySD 15:18 12 Mar 03

Try creating a new user with Admin rights and reboot and log into this user...is the same problem hapening?

rawprawn 15:37 12 Mar 03

Sorry no go, I still get the same message. If I right click on a Drive & select make new folder I get the message System cannot find specified device. & if I do the same on a file I get the other message

AndySD 15:44 12 Mar 03

Hmmmm you seem to have wiped some improtant system info.

It would be quicker to format the Drive and reinstall than to try to sort this out. Have you got all your info backed up?

rawprawn 16:20 12 Mar 03

Well I thought I had, I back up the usual stuff in C: to my other HD which is D:. However I think that when I was wiping the unused space I got a message saying I was dangerously low on space did I want to delete BKUP to make more space & I did. I think that this is what has caused the problem.I'm a bit nervous of formatting the HD & reinstalling everything.
In the past when I have tried to back up the whole of my computer I have found it tells me I haven't enough room. How many Cd's does it take.
I just tried to restore from my backup & I get the message D:\Backup C:Drive does not exist. Do you want to create one now.

rawprawn 16:49 12 Mar 03

I have just tried to backup to CD but I get the message "The backup file name could not be used, please specify a valid location & name for the backup file". The same happens if I try to backup to D: my other HD. I can't see a way of changing to a "valid location & name" I'm taking the locations from the browse option.This seems to mean that I am unable to backup. My system restore seems OK as it has created restore points during today for EG when I reinstalled SP1

AndySD 17:31 12 Mar 03

Did you do a repair instalation of XP or just reinstalled sp1?

rawprawn 17:55 12 Mar 03

I reinstalled SP1. There did not seem to be an option to repair. When I loaded the disc it just went ahead and installed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…