Cannot login to Hotmail

splinternet 19:56 06 Feb 04

Since this morning, I can't login to Hotmail. When I enter my email address and password, I get the error msg: "The .NET Passport service is currently unavailable at this Web site for one of these reasons:

• The site may contain an error or be experiencing a problem that affects the .NET Passport service.
• The site may not be an official .NET Passport-participating site. etc... etc... "

Is it just me - or is anyone else getting the same problem? Strangely, I can access Hotmail email ok from Outlook, but cannot login to .NET directly thru click here

AubreyS 19:58 06 Feb 04

I just tried and got in OK.

splinternet 21:03 06 Feb 04

This seems to be a well-known problem because when I rang the MSN hotline (001-650-964-7200) they had a recorded msg with instructions to fix it. Basically, you have to reset your browser privacy and security caches. In Tools...Internet...Options, under the Temporary Internet Files section, Delete Files then Delete Cookies. Then under the Privacy tab, Edit....then Remove All managed web sites. Close IE then restart (I did a complete reboot to make sure) and the problem has gone away.

I don't know whether it's a coincidence, but this morning, I followed the advice on page 139 of the Spring mag (Protect Your Privacy) and that's when the problems started. Would anyone like to comment on this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…