Cannot Log On to XP

Danny D 22:20 14 May 08

Help...

When I click a user Icon on the XP Welcome screen it starts to "Loading your personal settings", does the little Windows welcome jingle and immediately displays "Logging Off", I see a very quick flash of my desktop and then it displays "Saving your settings" before going back to the Welcome screen that lists all the user log on icons.

I've tried to to a repair install of XP on top of it but it has no effect. I think something 'orrible might have got in past the Firewall and Windows OneCare Live.

Any one got any ideas?

(I am using another machine connected to the router by Wi Fi to send this)

Danny

birdface 22:55 14 May 08

Have you tried in safe mode .Last good configuration or system restore.Or if you can get on there you could try running all your security programs.

Danny D 23:00 14 May 08

Buteman

Thanks but I've been through the whole F8 card - any way you try safe mode it won't let you.

If I could just get my foot in the door I could probably find what is causing this and get rid of it.

Danny

Danny D 18:54 15 May 08

Come on PC Advisor experts!.......

Any body got a solution to this for me?

Danny

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:00 15 May 08

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Danny D 19:13 15 May 08

Fruit Bat

Thanks but did exactly as you said last night, it went all the way through and appeared to be ok but when it came to the log on screen Guess What?....

Yes no change!

Another thing I'm not happy about. About an hour ago I got an automated e-mail from Windows Live (I'm running OneCare Live for anti virus) asking me to confirm that I wanted to change my Windows Live Password in the last 24hrs. Well I made no such request, so what's going on with my problem PC. I fear there is something nasty in there that's got control of it.

I'm waiting for Microsoft to get back to me, but it's taking ages.

Danny

Ditch999 19:31 15 May 08

Boot from an XP CD and try Recovery Console and run system restore from it. click here for the full explanation. There are parts that are not relevant and it tells you how to run chkdsk as well.

Ditch999 19:41 15 May 08

click here is a simplified version of how to run System Restore from the Recovery Console after booting from an XP CD.

Danny D 19:44 15 May 08

Ditch999

I'll give it a go and get back in 24 hrs or so when I've had a chance

Thanks

Danny

Danny D 21:55 19 May 08

Ditch999

I'm afraid I could not get your solutions to work. In DOS the keyboard would not recognise the ~ symbol.

So in desperation I re-formatted and re-loaded windows.

Thanks for trying

Danny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…