Cannot log on to some secure sites

Bluto 23:06 11 Jun 04

I have just tried to renew my PC Advisor subscription, but when I get onto the secure server the page won't load. This also happens with Dabs when I try to get to the checkout and Ebay when I try to access Pay Pal. It does not occur on other sites, Savastore and Comet for instance.
I'm running Kaspersky anti virus 5.0 and Zone Alarm 4.5. I had a Trojan a couple of months ago which Norton couldnt detect or sort, hence the Kaspersky.
Is this problem worm /trojan related, anti virus / firewall related or just somebody out there trying to save me money ?

Bluto

fly2hi 23:11 11 Jun 04

I dare say you may need to provide a little more info, i.e. your ISP ?, are you going through a router? etc
I had this problem myself and sorted it, but may not be related to your problem

Bluto 23:18 11 Jun 04

ISP is Go-plus.net, no router, dialup is 56k modem. This system worked with these sites previously.

fly2hi 23:40 11 Jun 04

try a search here or on the net for 'secure sites'
or something similar. there are a lot of suggestions to do with explorer settings and other things which may help. I spent ages trying to sort mine out and turned out to be network adapter MTU setting for AOL. Imagine I tried just about everything else first. Sorry can't list all the fixes, but sleep is calling

johnnyrocker 23:46 11 Jun 04

have you installed a pop up stopper or an updated firewall?

johnny.

VoG II 23:49 11 Jun 04

Try loading Promoxitron (coutesy of Stuartli) click here click here

Stuartli 09:10 12 Jun 04

Also check out Microsoft's comprehensive advice on Security settings - your cookies' configuration may need checking:

click here

I always set First Party Cookies to Prompt and Third Party Cookies to Block.

When you visit a website you can choose whether to allow or block cookies - trusted websites can be allowed permanent access from the panel which appears.

In most cases it will not stop access to a website, but you may have to allow cookies if you wish, for instance, to place an online order.

Stuartli 09:14 12 Jun 04

If I remember rightly, this website requires First and Third Party cookies to be allowed...:-)

Just tested the Subscribe page and the Privacy panel comes up with a message that PC Advisor wishes to save a cookie on my computer and do I wish to allow it.

If I was intending to renew my subscription this way I would then allow the cookie(s) to be placed.

Bluto 10:10 13 Jun 04

I have recently installed Zone Alarm, but not done much beyond leaving the default settings. There might a cookie blocking option needing checked as you suggest.
More mundane things like sheep and lambs need checking first though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…