Cannot locate the CD-ROM ? (Win XP)

curlylad 15:41 19 Nov 04

I received some free CD-ROM discs when I purchased my PC and have never used them.I have just tried to install one on my system 'Oxford GCSE Business Studies , it goes through the motions of installing into folder , do you require a quick launch icon , desktop icon etc etc , it then says it has installed and says to access the software start , all programs , The Learning Company , Oxford revision guides then click Oxford revision Guides but if I click this I get the error message 'Cannot locate the CD-ROM . Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application.If I click the desktop icon I get the same message.

Whats happening ?

woodt 16:14 19 Nov 04

The CD has to be in the drive for the program to run as it uses files that are on the CD and not loaded to your hard drive.

woodt 16:17 19 Nov 04

Another possibility is that the shortcut in the program that refers to your CD Drive has assumed that your CD is drive letter D which may not be the case.

woodt 16:30 19 Nov 04

Right click the program shortcut on your decktop and make sure that the target refers to your CD Drive letter.

curlylad 16:32 19 Nov 04

I am leaving the CD in the drive.

I have run the CD in the 'E' and the 'D' drives and tried start , run E:\setup and D:\setup whilst the CD is in both drives , still no joy .

curlylad 16:39 19 Nov 04

OK , I right click icon , properties , what do I need to do here or what do I need to alter if anything.My CD/DVD ROM drive is 'E' , and my DVD R/RW is my 'D' drive for the record.

woodt 16:42 19 Nov 04

Ok as I posted above right click the program shotcut and change Target to look in the E drive not the D drive as I expect it says

curlylad 16:55 19 Nov 04

The target and start in both give "C:\ as the path , and if I try to change the target to 'D' or 'E' , it says "The name D:\Program Files\The Learning Company\Oxford Revision Guides\Launcher.exe specified in the Target box is not valid.Make sure the path and file name are correct.

OK , should I just uninstall it and start again , and if so at what point do I change the path to E ? Will it give me the option ?

VoG II 16:58 19 Nov 04

The Launcher program will have been installed on your C: drive when you installed the program.

Have you tried starting the program with the CD in the drive?

curlylad 17:06 19 Nov 04

Yes mate , when I do this it still says Cannot locate the CD-ROM. Please insert the correct CD-ROM , select OK and restart application.

Dorsai 17:42 19 Nov 04

I think what Vog ment was:

Put the Cd in the drive, and let it autorun. It should then detect that the program is already installed on your PC, and offer the option to run it. As you are running it from the CD, it should not then ask for the CD.

Does it auto run, and if so, have your tried doing it it this way?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…