Cannot load winXP onto new hard No XP Disk

14all 20:01 02 Oct 10

Hi

I have an old Packard Bell Imedia 3043, which is loaded with windows XP.

The hard drive has really given up and all attempts to recover data or the XP operating system have failed so far

I purchased this machine light years away but up until now it has always performed quite well for my granddaughters college work ect.

I have got a new Sata hard drive but with no installation disk I am stuck for loading onto the new drive.

As I have the licence and product number for this PC is there any way I can an XP disk to reload from the manufactures or Microsoft? I did purchase the operating system with the PC, with XP preloaded.

Any help much appreciated, as I don’t really want to spend out on another PC for my granddaughter just yet.

Regards 14all (Paul)

Terry Brown 20:19 02 Oct 10

As the windows XP was pre-installed on your computer, it was probably an OEM version (tied to one machine).

I assume you did not make any backups (to another Hard drive or DVD/CD).

If you can borrow a XP CD, you should be able to install it in your Packard Bell Imedia 3043, as the type of drive should not make a difference, however if you try to use that licence on another machine you may get a problem with registering it.

Just use the licence number on your machine.
Terry

14all 20:32 02 Oct 10

Hi Terry

Thanks for the reply

I have been searching on the net and seen OEM versions for sale quite cheap.

Just so I have understood you post.

If I buy an OEM XP disk from off the net or a retailer, when I load it onto the new hard drive I enter all the licence and product details of the system that’s loaded on the old hard drive?

If so that is a lot cheaper than buying a new PC at the moment

Regards 14all (Paul)

woodchip 20:33 02 Oct 10

It as to be the same Operating System i.e if its Home then home as got to go on it not Pro

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:34 02 Oct 10

Borrow a XP CD
download the SATA drivers and copy to floppy.
If no floppy drive then slipstream the XP CD and drivers to a new CD using nlite click here click here

use your own serial number

If not load it with LINUX an open office click here

14all 21:08 02 Oct 10

Thanks gentlemen for your posts

I will look into the information you have posted

It all sounds good so far, so hopefully I will be up and running quicker than I thought

Regards 14all (Paul)

Batch 14:37 03 Oct 10

Just to clarify, if you were to buy a pukka new OEM CD, it should come with a licence key. You could use either that key or the existing one that you have. I.e. you would have to genuine and useable keys.

If you borrow a CD, you should be able to use the licence key that you already have for the machine. Thus, this would be the cheaper option.

One other point though. Does the Packard Bell Imedia 3043 support SATA? My impression is that it quite an old box and would only support IDE (aka ATA or PATA) hard disks. If it has to be IDE (and you would have to get an IDE disk), then the earlier comments about slipstreaming SATA drivers do not apply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…