Cannot leave PC in standby mode

Dalmation 17:45 19 Aug 08

Can anyone please tell me what I should do. The icon is not lit up like 'Turn Off' or 'Restart'.
I did buy a new printer and I wonder if this is the problem, although I have taken it off again and then reconnected it.
Any help would be very useful.

iqs 20:04 19 Aug 08

Do you have XP?.

If yes,go to control panel,performance and maintenance,power options,then click on the hibernate tab,is enable hibernation mode ticked?

Dalmation 16:13 20 Aug 08

Thank you iqs. I do have XP Professional. I have tried your suggestion and the Acer Management System comes up. Hibernation period is 1 hour but I still cannot use the icon which is still not lit up. Any other suggestions?

iqs 18:23 20 Aug 08

In power option,is the Power scheme home/office desk?

Do you have enough RAM for standby,all your date is saved to RAM ?.

iqs 18:42 20 Aug 08

In the BIOS,I have just checked my mine,there is an option called Power Management Setup.

There is an option called ACPI,this deals with the power settings.Mine is set to Enabled.

I wouldn't recommend adjusting any settings in the BIOS unless you know what you are doing.The wrong setting can cause you more grief .

I would read up about it first before attempting any changes,or wait for someone else with greater knowledge then me.

Dalmation 17:27 21 Aug 08

Thanks for your thread. I do not think I will go that route - it seems too difficult for me being an absolute beginner - perhaps someone else out there will provide an answer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5