cannot install windows 95

webbo1968 02:53 15 May 03

i'm giving away my old computer - a 686, i think - to a friend, so i did a format:c command and thought i would reinstall win95.
however, this is what happens:
1. when i put in setup disk 1 it says "not a system diskette".
2. when i put in the boot disk and try to set up, it says: "Setup has found non-MS-DOS operating system files on your computer. if your computer has OS/2 on it, see SETUP.TXT on setup disk 1."
3. when I take the option of removing the files i get a blue screen with white dots on it and a lot of beeping noises. a garbled message at the bottom of the screen says "hard drive and configer the disk for use". i then have to restart.
4. when i take the option of not removing the files i get a message saying: "Windowns files cannot be installed because the format of drive c is incompatible with Win 95. You can have setup reformat drive c for you or quit and reformat yourself."
5. when i ask for setup to reformat drive c i get this message: "Setup cannot install Win 95 - an error was detected while formatting your primary hard drive partition. press enter"
i then get "memory allocation error cannot load COMMAND, system halted."

i'm stuck. can anyone help?

simon

jeez 03:21 15 May 03

ok, boot with your botdisk and do this :

type fdisk
select "delete partitions and logical dos drives"
delete all the partitions on the drive
then select create partition
do this using all space available
then select create a logical dos drive
then exit fdisk
reboot
re-format
and try installing again

BBez 05:20 15 May 03

only the last release of 95 has support for Fat32 partitions. As Jeez says, reboot with a boot disk, type FDISK at the command prompt and when it asks you if you would like to enable "large disk support" choose "NO" which will partition the drive as FAT16 which will support all versions of Win_95. After escaping FDISK and rebooting, format the hard disk then reinstall 95.

webbo1968 04:26 17 May 03

thanks, but when do i type this in? i never get to a command prompt. if i quit setup after rebooting with the boot disk, i get the message: "Memory allocation error. Cannot load COMMAND, system halted."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…