Cannot install Windonws XP updates

pjwheeldon 09:11 23 Oct 07

I recently re-installed windows XP over the top of the original installation, to preserve my settings, files and programmes.

All worked fine, but now Windows Update will not work.

It did initially install 4 updates including 3.1 updater before it asked for a re-start, which I did.

It identifies that there are 80-odd updates awaiting installation, but if I choose express or custom install it churns away for a minute or so, then quickly finished, showing all updates have not been installed. I have tried doing update manually, using Microsoft update, etc but get the same result every time.

I seemed to recall that having time and date out of synch can lead to problems, but have checked that all the settings are correct for time, region, etc.

Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

birdface 09:21 23 Oct 07

Run this.click here press the green tick and then go.

pjwheeldon 09:33 23 Oct 07

Thanks for coming back so quickly buteman. No idea what it did but Dial a fix resolved the problem, and the updates are installing as we speak.

So pleased I even sent a donation by paypal, which is impressive for someone as tight as me!

thomo-pff@hotmail.co.uk 11:42 23 Oct 07

i have had this before when i have installed Windows over itself and it leaves all the updates on the system, but Win Updates thinks it needs them again.

I went into the add/remove progs and clicked to show all updates and tallied the updates listed with the KBxxxxx it said it failed on, and they were already there.

Told windows not to remind me about the selected ones again and went on happily

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…