cannot install W95 prog under XP

MuDelta 21:25 22 Jun 04

I cannot install BMA Health Encyclopaedia on my computer which is running XP because the programme was intended for W 95 and (W 3.1 !). I get the error message “The sound software is not installed properly or has been disabled – for more information see the readme file”

The relevant part of the file is, I think, as follows:-

check for the presence of WinG drivers in both the Windows and the Windows\system directories. They should only exist in the Windows\system directory. If you find any in the Windows directory you should delete them. The files to look for are:

wing.dll wing32.dll wingde.dll
wingdib.drv wingpal.wnd

Restart your computer before trying to run Family Health Encyclopedia again.

I have done all of this, except for finding WinG drivers, by taking the files from my old computer (W98) which I am going to give away.

Is there something more I can do to make the program run on my XP machine or should I lust give up?

There does not seem to be a later version of the program which might run under XP.

Night Ryder 21:58 22 Jun 04

Right click on the icon that launches the program, the select properties. At the top of the properties box you should see a tab marked "Compatability". Click on this tab then choose to run in Windows 95 compatability mode. Click on apply then try running running the program again. May work ... Not garanteed however.

woodchip 22:15 22 Jun 04

Created for Fat16. Do not try loading any fat16 Hard Disc tools,. and using them or your disc will go fooy

MuDelta 09:58 23 Jun 04

Night Rider, I had tried that - no success; tried again - same result!

Woodchip, I note what you say.

I conclude that the question is answered and the problem is irresolvable.

Thanks to you both.

MuDelta

Q-Bie 10:08 23 Jun 04

I remember you get this error sometimes with some Dorling Kinersly software, we've experienced it a few times at PCW... theres a small patch you can download

*troddles off to search the net*

Try this

click here

q

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…