Cannot install USB hub.

joethebow 20:04 23 Oct 03

I have two elderly P200?s running Win 98 second edition. I am rapidly running out of Parallel printers to work with them so I decided to install a USB port in each. I bought 2 USB cards from 2 different sellers on Ebay. 2 Identical brand new USB PCI cards arrived and I installed them, Both PC?s did the same thing: Installed the USB Root Hub and Open Host Controller. Then installed 2 Unknown USB devices. The description of these is USB Root Hub. I can disable, add power, or update the drivers. They appear in the System list with a Red X beside them. Whatever I do, the 2 known good printers that I attach to the USB port is not seen. I swapped the cards between the PC?s with the same result. If I delete the pair of unknown devices they just reappear next time I restart the PC.

The Card spec is USB1, 2 ports, requiring an IBM PC and Win 98 2nd Edition.

ams4127 20:22 23 Oct 03

Have you enabled them in BIOS?

Jester2K II 20:31 23 Oct 03

Did you reset the IRQ in the BIOS?

Go into the BIOS and you'll find something like RESET CONFIGURATION. Enable it (it should switch back to Disable Automatically after a reboot as it only required once) then save the change and reboot. This should sort the IRQ Values and hopefully allow the card to work.

This stopped me installing two cards before before someone pointed to this....

joethebow 23:56 23 Oct 03

Thanks, I didn't think of that. I'll have a go in the morning and let you know what happens. It would have been nice if the miniscule manual had mentioned the BIOS wouldn't it.

joethebow 09:48 25 Oct 03

I tried resetting the Bios to the default values, no difference. The USB hubs still don't see anything plugged into it. There is nothing in either Bios about USB.

Any other ideas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…