Cannot Install Flash

hawthorn59 03:39 AM 28 Mar 12

Hi

Just reinstalled Windows 7. Now a site wants me to install Flash, which I have unsuccessfully tried to do in Firefox. It downloads, but when I install it, it then gives me "unknown error" and that is as far as I get.

It was for a survey site, yet the survey continued ok without it, but I guess i will have the same recurring problem.

thanks

h

hawthorn59 04:43 AM 28 Mar 12

Hi

Much to my dismay I find I now cannot install Adobe Reader 10.1.2 either. Again just like Flash, it goes to 96% than after a while this error nessage:

Error 1935. An error occurred during the installation of assembly component

{B708EB72-AA82-3EB7-8BBO-D845BA35C93D}. HRESULT: 0X80070BC9.

The download page said I may have to disable anti-virus during installation. I never had to do that before (using MSE). But this time I installed AVG. Is there an issue with it or should I try disabling it?

Alternately I have an earlier installation file of Adobe Reader on a memory stick Im sure; maybe I should try that? What could be happening?

thanks

h

onthelimit1 08:33 AM 28 Mar 12

It could well be AVG that's stopping it. Disable and try again. Personally, I would have stuck with MSE!

hawthorn59 09:14 AM 28 Mar 12

Thanks

I've just tried it however, with AVG disabled, and exactly the same thing, it stops at 96%

h

birdface 09:21 AM 28 Mar 12

Maybe try installing in safe mode or with your firewall turned off.

rawprawn 09:35 AM 28 Mar 12

Did you do a Full fresh install, or a re-install (Upgrade) If it was an upgrade your old files will still be there under windows old. If that is the case delete the adobe and flash files if they are showing.

hawthorn59 13:35 PM 28 Mar 12

Actually on this occasion I installed a brand new hard drive, then an original copy of Windows 7.

I did find the error on a google search and it recommended a fix for it, but I wanted to see what you guys thought first! Heres the link:

http://www.wiki-errors.com/wiki-errors.php?wiki=0X80070BC9

Perhaps I should try that..?

thnx h

robin_x 14:16 PM 28 Mar 12

Give it a go. I just find my Desktop is misbehaving after a W7 Repair Install a couple of weeks ago.

Exact same problem as you with YouTube and BBC vids.

Last night at 3am, YouTube Flash updater link was failing on install at 40% or so.

Just tried BBC News main page video link (click any video).

It has just worked.

Firefox Refresh button needs fixing.

All sorts of bits and pieces have been changed since Repair Install. Luck I use my Laptop mainly.

hawthorn59 16:16 PM 28 Mar 12

Damn! Its not compatible with Windows 7!!

h

rawprawn 17:02 PM 28 Mar 12

I would try "Repair Windows 7"

hawthorn59 17:37 PM 28 Mar 12

Aha!

Instead of disabling AVG I uninstalled it, and Adobe then installed! Havent tried Flash yet, now just installed MSE!

h

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED