Cannot get Wireless Router to work on AOL

HHoy 15:10 22 Apr 06

Having problems getting a Wireless Router to work on AOL Silver package(which is broadband, anyone any suggestions. What Router would do the job for me I've tried a Linksys Router with no luck. pretty fed up with dragging wires around the house.

wobblymike 15:52 22 Apr 06

see if this helps

click here

Dipso 22:45 22 Apr 06

A relative of mine has just bought a Linksys router, the one on offer at PC World. Was told by AOL that they didn't support it, so he rang the Linksys helpline who successfully guided him through setting it up.

ashdav 00:15 23 Apr 06

You can use any router or modem with AOL but it's best not to install their software.
Just enter your primary sign on name (the first one you got from AOL) and password into the router/modem details.
You can sign in to AOLs web page if you want to use their email facility or use an external client such as Thunderbird.
The only things you will lose are AOLs search engine (no great loss in my opinion) and the ability to access Keywords.
Any probs post back.

goonerbill © ® 01:59 23 Apr 06

hi HHoy. i use AOL GOLD to access the net and had similar problems as you to start with, AOL not connecting no matter what i tried. does your AOL symble in the taskbar have a small gold/yellow star in the top right hand corner when the comp. is first switched on? if it does, it means that it is connected to the net. try using IE first to connect to net and then AOL, it worked for me and have not had any probs connecting since.

p.s. am using d-link modem and wireless router and AOL dont support them either.

sicknote 08:07 23 Apr 06

Netgear DG834gt with a w511t works Ok with AOL, set it up hardwired first then go wireless.

click here

sicknote 08:09 23 Apr 06
  HHoy 18:56 25 Apr 06

Thanks to everyone for their help, I'll let you know what I decide to do and how I geton.

HHoy 10:52 03 May 06

Thanks this is now resolved, got the Netgear DG834G router, although had problems setting it up, the customer services line were very good and got me going in no time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…