Cannot Get Into Windows XP

PTB007 20:45 28 Jul 04

Dear all,

Running a system with Windows XP pro, two hdd and two dvd's. System was working fine this morning but now when I try to log on it hangs when displaying ,the PCI device listing and displays 5 coloured blocks scattered round the screen.
I am unable to log onto safe mode but can get into recovery console.
I have noticed that sometimes my slave hard drive is diplayed and sometimes not, before I open the pc up any suggestions?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:53 28 Jul 04

Could be a HDD on the way out? Enter Bios make sure both HDD show in CMOS. You may have a key that will let you auto recognise the drives (F3.
)

Also in the advanced sceen see if you can set S.M.A.R.T. disk monitoring to enabled. Save settings and reboot.

woodchip 21:02 28 Jul 04

First open the PC and remove the power cable from the Slave to see if it lets you into XP. Then you know you have a prob with the Drive or BIOS settings

PTB007 23:09 28 Jul 04

woodchip / Fruit Bat /\0/\,

Thanks for the assistance, tried what you suggested without success. I've now swopped the drives round and installed windows onto the old slave drive and it seems to be working now. I can also see the other drive and will be able to retrieve my files.
Is there a way to copy over my programs without having to reinstall them onto the new windows install?

Chegs ® 00:58 29 Jul 04

Its is possible to simply copy the program folder over,but generally speaking the programs dont work as they have entries in the registry,etc.I have tried several methods,and had some success but more often I get failures.

PTB007 08:06 29 Jul 04

Chegs ®,

Thanks for that. Ok the only important data is messages in Outlook.
If I reinstall office is there a way to get my messages from the old outlook install on my d drive to my c drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…