Cannot get web access

romeohotel 15:08 21 Oct 03

I have a strange problem - when I access IE on start up I am allowed to go to a web site, but I cannot go to another after. I just get the message 'cannot find server' and this page cannot be displayed' On rebooting I can again just go to one website. Any ideas? I have run the Baster removal tool from Symantec - the virus was not found.
Thx in advance, Robin.

wx622 15:19 21 Oct 03

After you bring the first webpage up, run cmd (or command) from Start, Run. Type ping , then the address of another website, eg yahoo.com . See if any packets are returned. If they are not, you could just be viewing a cached page, when you try to access the internet, and if so you have a configuration error.

Taff36 15:25 21 Oct 03

The first page is your home page I presume which is "Cached" (i.e. stored on your computer) for speeed of loading. You need to check your settings. TOOLS>OPTIONS>SETTINGS tab and highlight your connenction then click settings. Are they what you expect - if not post back.

Taff36 15:56 21 Oct 03

Via e-mail:

I have 'about blank' as my home page. I have tried multiple URLs at the first attempt and all seem to work OK, it is when I try to go to another website I get the message 'the page is not available' and in the task bar a message says something like DNS error cannot find server.

Are you on dial up or broadband connection on a stand alone computer or network? Also who is your service provider and how long has this been going on. How are you accessing this forum?

Have you checked the settings and made a note of them? Just a little bit more information and someone will tell you where the problem lies.

brittas 16:05 21 Oct 03

If you go to file - and look at the bottom of the drop down, check to see if the "work offline" is not ticked. If it is, un tick it and it should connect to your isp.

Ceemar 16:08 21 Oct 03

You may have had a DoS (Denial of Service) attack, if you are still having probs go to Symantec and other anti-virus websites for downloadable tools,( Iknow you've been there already)I presume that you have access to another system as you wouldn't have been able to post this query! Read all info re latest attacks, download relevant tools, copy to media & then run on your system,please note some have to be run from DOS so you need a start disc if you can't get into DOS. Download as many tools as possible if DoS is the problem one will find it. I've cleared this exact same prob this way on many a system.

Ceemar 16:11 21 Oct 03

Re-installing IE won't work if you have a DoS, this is a good indication that it's DoS

Taff36 16:48 21 Oct 03

By e-mail:

I have a laptop as well as a desktop. It is the desktop that is giving me the problem. My ISP is free.fr dial up connection (I live in France).I can connect to the internet Ok and also OE, but not after the first attempt. The problem seemed to happen after I uninstalled Antivir (I could not download updates)does this give any clues?

Not sure if this helps me but someone will have an idea.

wx622 16:53 21 Oct 03

No way. This DoS is a lost cause. Everyone has been overly-worried about viruses recently, after Sobig and Blasterworm. I have heard recently that Blasterworm is not a real malicious program, it is in fact a security flaw that Microsoft failed to deal with in time.(such is gossip...). Anyway, run ping again, but this time put a '-n 30' switch on it (this will mean that the window will stay up for longer)(without the quotes).Also, you could try running 'tracert' from the command line (no quotes), and entering your ISP's IP address after the word tracert. This will verify if your ISP is the problem.

Lead 18:04 21 Oct 03

Call your ISP helpline, they will be able to take you, step by step, through the steps required to get you rconnecton back. If not, they will be able to confirm or deny if there is a problem with your connection (as opposed to your PC setup).

If you want to try and fix it yourself, with our help, we need some more information:

What OS are you using? Are you dial-up or broadband? Do you use a router? Do you use a firewall? Do you use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…