Cannot get internet connection

User-394903 23:43 28 Jan 08

My friend's pc which runs Win XP with SP2 and connects to the internet using a BT Voyager 105 modem,can't connect to the web. The problem appears to be connected to software issues. I am not sure yet how this has come about but this is what happens. The pc boots up no problem, but when attempts are made to install the software of the modem an error comes up which reads Can't get registry value: Key = software\GlobespanVirata\Adsl value = driver type. Please help.

Acx 01:14 29 Jan 08

This was posted in 2006

click here

If it doesn't work then its time for a new modem I would think.

User-394903 20:24 29 Jan 08

Thank you Acx for your answer and the 'click here' which I have printed out. But having not made changes to the registry before, I get lost in the post from another forum saying create a new key.Can you please explain exactly how I do that?
The BT 105 modem is connected to my pc so there is nothing wrong with it.

User-394903 11:42 30 Jan 08

An update to problem posted 28/01/08. The pc froze, a recovery cd (which was created by my friend) was inserted into the drive after a startup. The result was internet connection was lost after followung on screen instructions.Can someone please help.
I thank you in advance

howard64 19:05 30 Jan 08

to create a new key in the registry you need to enter regedit then navigate to the key you need. Then either double click it or right click and an option to create a new key is one of the options. Then type in what you have been told.

User-394903 20:27 30 Jan 08

Thank you. You have made my friends day (and mine). He's got his pc up and running again and I got to doing stuff in the registry - something I'm very hesitant about. I'll tick as resolved and thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…