cannot format a USB hard drive

soxie 19:53 09 Feb 05

Can anyone please help me! I have just attatched a 120 gig hard drive to my computer using a drive enclosure that connects using a usb connection. Windows keeps giving me a message saying that this drive is not formatted, do I wish to format now? when I click yes 3 or 4 hours go by then I get a message saying that Windows cannot format the drive. so I can't use it!! I am desperate for help!! I am running XP on a 1 year old dell 8300 3gh.

dan11 20:07 09 Feb 05

Start off by right clicking my computer. Pick the manage button. This will open a new window. Scroll down to disk management and press enter. Now look to the right hand side for the usb drive. on a portion to the right of the drive, right click it. What options do you get?

mattyc_92 20:07 09 Feb 05

Are you sure that it is properly fitted and the "hardware" has been installed by windows??? Try another USB port...

soxie 20:31 09 Feb 05

It shows the drive as a normal hard drive (drive "H") but where the file system should be it is blank,

dan11 20:38 09 Feb 05

On the H drive, right click on a portion to the right. You should have a drop down box. Some commands will be greyed out, but some will show. What does it show?

We need a list of these commands to work out the best options for you. ;-)

soxie 20:46 09 Feb 05

It shows
change drive letter and paths
delete partition

mark partition as active is greyed out

dan11 20:51 09 Feb 05

Try the format option first.

if this does the same as before, then we will have to talk you through the delete partition route. It is very easy and windows will do most for you.

soxie 21:00 09 Feb 05

I have just hit the format button from that menu, so far no error messages. i'll leave it running for as long as it takes and i'll let you know what happens.

thanks mate your help is much appreciated.

kind regards Soxie

soxie 07:34 10 Feb 05

left it formatting, when I went it bed it was at 43%, got up this morning and same message "windows could not format this disc"

dan11 09:49 10 Feb 05

lets try this then;-)

Right click the "H" drive and delete the partition.

Now you should have a different command in the drop down box. pick the new partition option.
click here
This is an old thread of mine, of course yours will be a single drive and may not be labeled ( H)

This will start the wizard. click here

The next option is to create a primary partition
click here

Next you get the format options. It will probably be just NTFS for that size of drive. Pick the quick format option as the drive has not had any data on it. This should take seconds and not hours. lol
click here

The next screen will give you the option to have one large disk or to split the drive into separate partitions. If you just want one large drive, then pick the default size. This will be the full size of the USB disk.
click here

Then you will have the finish tab, pick finish. It will then start to format the disk, at quick format speed.

This should get you up and going. :-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…