cannot find system32\hal.dll

gajo 03:04 07 Jul 05

my dad recently gave me his laptop (running xp), i tried to do a disk cleanup today and partway through the 'delete unwanted files' part, the laptop crashed and when i tried to reboot the error message 'windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: windows root>\system32\hal.dll. please re-install a copy of the above file' appears. I can't find a way to get into safe mode, or even msdos. any help will be greatly appreciated please.

User-312386 07:13 07 Jul 05

For NTFS: Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.

At the first R=Repair option, press the R key Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair. Typically this will be #1 Enter in the administrator password when requested

Enter in the following commands (X: is replaced by the actual drive letter that is assigned to the CD ROM drive) COPY X:\i386\hal.dll C\: COPY X:\i386\hal.dll

Next type C:\

Take out the CD ROM and type exit

gajo 09:59 07 Jul 05

Thanks. i was afraid of that; dad didn't give me the disks at the time and he's since passed away. maybe i'll eventually find the disk.

gajo 23:04 16 Jul 05

Ah, i found the xp disk, and the instructions were spot on. thanks a million.

User-312386 10:55 17 Jul 05

glad to be of help

Condolences with regards to your father

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…