cannot find server, page not available

evanrob 10:28 14 Jan 04

Have a dual partitioned hdd with Win XP pro on one and the other Win 98se .this latter O.S giving a lot of problems when I connect to the internet..Using I.E.6 (from P.C.Advisor Houskeeping disc)No home page or anything else. just, 'cannot find server ' but at bottom of page message> "downloading from site.res:// c:\windows\system\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm " Would gladly appreciate any help before 'they carry me away ' best wishes to all .desperate

Big Elf 11:05 14 Jan 04

Check that you've setup your connection settings correctly.

MichelleC 11:21 14 Jan 04

Also try reverting to previous version (or repair) of ie on 98 partition. (ie6 is not as good as 5.5 with 98 on some pc's).

evanrob 18:54 14 Jan 04

Thanks Big Elf, and MichelleC, for your quick response.. I've been trying various ideas including re-installing I.E.% and /or repairing any problems in both .I do appreciate that I.E.6 seems not to happy with Win 98, and that'improved'or updated versions are not always the 'thing'.. It seems the message at the bottom of the screen telling me that that there is a DNS error is perhaps the main culprit , and after trying so many different things I'm beginning to think, a complete re-install is called for of Win 98se !! drastic ?? thanks again chaps..Evanrob

©®@$? 19:00 14 Jan 04

click here

read this may fix your problem

click here

Big Elf 19:29 14 Jan 04

The reason I mentioned your connections settings is that I sometimes get that ...c:\windows\system\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm ...thing if my connection fails when first trying to connect.

©®@$? 12:47 15 Jan 04

please reply via this thread and not to e-mail t
i agree check you connection settings for you isp, if these all seem correct then try the following,this is copied from the link i posted above and there are many good suggestions to try.read through them and try the suggestions

1. To begin, remove Dial-Up Networking as follows:

Click Start / Settings / Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs, then select the 'Windows Setup' tab. Highlight the 'Communications' component and click on the 'Details' button. Uncheck the box for 'Dial-Up Networking', then accept all changes by clicking 'OK' wherever appearing. Restart the computer when prompted.

2. After the computer reboots, modify the registry as follows:

Click Start / Run, type in the word regedit, then click OK.
When the registry opens, on the toolbar, select 'Registry', then select 'Export Registry File.'. Save the entire file (Export Range= 'All') to a suitable location (the Desktop is fine). This action backs up the registry into a file that can be restored in case
something goes wrong during this procedure. You can import this registry file back if necessary.
CAUTION: MODIFYING THE REGISTRY CAN CAUSE YOUR COMPUTER TO BECOME INOPERABLE. BE CAREFUL.

Perform the following sequence of steps; click 'YES', if asked, when deleting:
· Click + on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,
· Click + on 'System' below that,
· Click + on 'CurrentControlSet' below that,
· Click + on 'Services' below that,
· Highlight the 'Winsock' folder below, right click the mouse, then select 'Delete',
· Highlight the 'Winsock2' folder below, right click the mouse, then select 'Delete',
· Locate the 'VxD' folder above where the Winsock folders were (still inside 'Services'),
· Click + on 'VxD',
· Highlight the 'AFVXD' folder below, right click the mouse, then select 'Delete',
· Highlight the 'DHCP' folder below, right click the mouse, then select 'Delete',
· Highlight the 'MSTCP' folder below, right click the mouse, then select 'Delete',
· Highlight the 'Winsock2' folder below, right click the mouse, then select 'Delete'.

Exit the registry editor.

3. Re-install Dial-Up Networking as follows:

Click Start / Settings / Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs, then select the 'Windows Setup' tab. Highlight the 'Communications' component and click on the 'Details.' button. Check the box for 'Dial-Up Networking', then accept all changes by clicking 'OK' wherever appearing. Restart the computer when prompted.

Start the Internet browser and display a web page

the link i posted

evanrob 16:00 16 Jan 04

Thank you once more for your reply and the contents therein , you certainly went to some trouble on my behalf,for which I am most grateful,as for going thr'u the procedure as suggested,you will I am sure appreciate my misgivings my being an old "new boy" BUT I will indeed 'have a go' when I have plucked up enough courage to go into the (I'm told ) sacred registry! .I also accessed the Tek_tips page and at once realised the meaning of your remarks, to take a look.. I suppose its a matter of think twice before 'clicking' at each step ..
At least I can perhaps always re-install Win.se.
Again many thanks indeed for your guidance..Evanrob

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…