cannot find server

badgermansix 21:21 08 Jun 09

XPPro sp2 IE 6.0.2

When I open IE and then open other windows, I get "Cannot find server - Favorit" and "The page cannot be displayed" when I close those windows to go back my default Page, any ideas please?

tia

bobbybluenose 21:22 08 Jun 09

who is your isp

badgermansix 18:41 09 Jun 09

bobbybluenose, blueyonder? Virgin

eric_bloodaxe 21:43 09 Jun 09

Hi;
I don't know what is going on but my fiance in cheltenham GB is having the exact same problem with Virgin internet tonight. It also happens with safari.. She is going to call virgin but maybe they have a problem?

eric_bloodaxe 22:20 09 Jun 09

Hi
just had a txt from aforementioned fiance. She rang and they said to unplug the modem for 1 minute or so and reboot. this seems to have sorted the problem. Now i read this i'm not sure if she means re boot the puter or merely re switch on the modem. try both and see what happens.

badgermansix 16:10 10 Jun 09

eric_bloodaxe, thanks for the input, I tried as you suggested but I am still getting the same problem.

ened 16:41 10 Jun 09

Try a System Restore.

It can't do any harm and you might have inadvertently kicked something out of kilter withour realising it.

badgermansix 06:43 11 Jun 09

ened, I have tried that, I am beginning to wonder if I should upgrade IE to 7, although I heard there were a few problems with that?

birdface 06:54 11 Jun 09

Try this.

Try command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns a small gap between ipconfig and forward slash or it will not work.Ok. it should tell you DNS has been flushed if so reboot and see if it works any better.

badgermansix 18:38 09 Aug 09

Sorry for the long delay in answering, to be honest, I forgot!
the problem seems to have resolved itself with IE 8.06 and SP3, would this make sense?

buteman, I did try this but with no change, but thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…