'Cannot find server'

tlr 22:41 19 Mar 04

I am having a lot of bother with the internet and certain pages, for example, ebay screen opens fine but if I try and go into 'my ebay' I get 'cannot find server' screen, this problem is not limited to ebay, yahoo does it, centre parcs did it.
I am running Win XP
Internet explorer 6
Norton system works 2003
Norton internet security 2004
Any ideas???
I suspect a conflict of interests between Norton security and the sites content but dont know how to 'force its hand'

Dave

woodchip 23:17 19 Mar 04

May be your FireWall that's stopping you

tlr 17:12 20 Mar 04

I turned off both the windows XP firewall and the Norton firewall and I still get 'cannot find server'.....the home page on the sites comes up its only when I try to log in to them it comes to a halt

GaT7 18:15 20 Mar 04

1. Deleting your Temporary Internet files (plus all offline content) & cookies in Internet Explorer's Properties.

2. Shutdown your PC, reboot & try again.

3. If the above works you may want to turn on your firewall.

tlr 17:57 21 Mar 04

made no difference Im afraid....any more ideas as it is extremely frustrating?

camplet 18:27 21 Mar 04

turn off any fire wall, run any ad ware removal software,if you can download cwshredder and run that i had the sameproblem as you and just cleanded pc up and check internet settings

Valvegrid 20:00 21 Mar 04

Have a look in your Hosts file to make sure Ebay is not being blocked for some reason.

I'm not sure were it is in XP, but if you do a search for "Hosts" (without the quotes) and open it in Notepad. The very last line should read:

127.0.0.1 localhost

If you see any other entries below the one above, like for example:

127.0.0.2 click here
127.0.0.8 click here

That means that those particular site are being blocked.

To remove the block add a # before each instance, e.g.:

#127.0.0.2 click here
#127.0.0.8 click here

As a matter of interest you can use this to block ads from being displayed.

BTW the IP address are fictitious because I don't know what they are for Ebay or Yahoo.

Valvegrid 20:05 21 Mar 04

Blasted formatting, this is what I wanted to say:

127.0.0.2 www . ebay.com

127.0.0.8 www . yahoo.co.uk

That means that those particular site are being blocked.

To remove the block add a # before each instance, e.g.:

#127.0.0.2 www . ebay.com

#127.0.0.8 www . yahoo.co.uk

VoG II 20:07 21 Mar 04

In XP hosts would be in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

tlr 21:08 21 Mar 04

Camplet
Downloaded cwshredder and it scanned the system and declared me clean but made no difference

Valvegrid
127.0.0.1 localhost was the only entry

VoG
Thanks for the directions!!!

Any thing else, I have 38 new messages in Yahoo but cannot gain access....as soon as I try to click on any folder it comes up 'cannot find server' ebay is when I log in

Valvegrid 22:30 21 Mar 04

What ISP are you using? I have had the occasional problem with NTL in the passed giving similar messages to what you are getting and it doesn't seemed to be consistent, some users can access certain sites whereas others can't.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…