'cannot find server'

w.squirrel 15:25 19 Mar 04

Hi all. I am with freeserve anytime, and at the mo although my computer seem to be connected to the internet (all the 'right ' stuff coming up, ie authorised and connected, and my phone line making those hissing noises), I am getting the 'cannot find server' message when i try to access a website. This happens with all websites.

Outlook Express can't download my messages either, although the yahoo messenger is able to tell me how many messages I've got! I have the same problem with the virgin pay as you go.
Any ideas on what the problem may be? I have an athlon 1900 I think, using windows xp home.
Sorry this is long. I'm using the internet at the library just now, and obviously won't be able to access this site till I come back tomorrow, if I can get on.

THanks in advance for any advice

curlylad 15:30 19 Mar 04

Your firewall could be conflicting with another program , i.e they are both trying to use the same port.Try leaving one program at a time from start up and restart PC to see if this is the case.

w.squirrel 14:45 20 Mar 04

Thanks curlylad. I'll try that. Am at the library again, so won't be able to feedback on this again prob till Monday - unless it works, of course!

Any more tips on this problem from anyone would be gratefully received!

TBH1 15:36 20 Mar 04

Aint libraries wonderful nowadays - - - - free internet and all you can eat for ten bob - - -well, maybe not that last statement :). I remember when all you could get from there was 3 books at a time, for 2 weeks - -but showing my age now. I'll get me coat then - -

w.squirrel 23:24 20 Mar 04

Thanks curlylad - it was the firewall! Somehow it was blocking everything, including internet explorer and outlook express. All is now back to normal.

So no more trips to the library unless I want a book!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…