cannot find newly installed hard drive

desmoquattro 18:54 08 Oct 04

fitted a slave 160GB HDD to my PC as it is 4 years old plus. lifespan of HD's are apparently 5 years? intention to copy image of old HD and use as master.
when looking at BIOS etc in start up mode I find details of new HD but nothing in 'my computer'

do I have to partition drive or assign address letter etc?

have tried looking using 'new hardware wizard' with no joy is there something else I should be doing?

SantasLittleHelper 19:01 08 Oct 04

Hi, have you formatted the drive? If it is a Maxtor drive I suggest you use Maxblast software.

powerless 19:01 08 Oct 04

You using Windows 98?

Blartfast 22:48 08 Oct 04

control panel - administrative tools - computer management - disk management. Right click on the new disk and mark as active.

Diodorus Siculus 08:40 09 Oct 04

Does the BIOS see it?

Tell it to autodetect.

But it may be that the BIOS is too old to see such a big disk (in which case it should see, maybe, 32gb).

keith-236785 09:21 09 Oct 04

use a win98se startup disk (click here) if you dont have one. once downloaded double click the file to create a startup floppy

boot pc with floppy in the drive, at the menu, choose option2 (start computer without cdrom support) you dont need cd at this stage and its a little quicker loading.

once you have the prompt A:> type

fdisk

once loaded, i think ist option5 change fixed disk (you must change to the new disk here or you risk destroying your old drives data)

then you need option 1 to create a partition (how you partition is up to you but remember there is a maximum size of partition in windows)
talk on here is 36gig but im not sure, check on microsoft's site

once you have finished partitioning the drive, remove the floppy and reboot the system, your new drive should be visible.

good luck

desmoquattro 10:41 10 Oct 04

downloaded windows discwizard program from seagate and now OK, 160GB was too much so reduced to maximum 136GB

thanks for responses

I would now like to copy image of old HD to new so I can change to master drive and boot up using this one (in case the old one crates it)

desmoquattro 10:41 10 Oct 04

downloaded windows discwizard program from seagate and now OK, 160GB was too much so reduced to maximum 136GB

thanks for responses

I would now like to copy image of old HD to new so I can change to master drive and boot up using this one (in case the old one crates it)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…