Cannot find modem

emm1 09:45 10 Dec 03

I have had to reboot my computer from scratch. I have installed the driver for our modem but the computer does not recognise that a modem is installed. When I try to connect to the internet it immediately disconnents me saying there is no dial tone.

I'm sure that its just because the modem isn't installed but I don't know how to do this.

Any ideas?

Thanks

plsndrs3 09:50 10 Dec 03

First go to Control Panel>system>Hardware>Device Manager. Is your modem listed? Does it have a yellow exclamation mark?

My initial feelings are that the modem IS detected, but cannot find a phone line. Is the cable connected both ends & is there a dialing tone?

Regards,

Paul

plsndrs3 09:52 10 Dec 03

click here

Check the suggestions on here as well & post back .....

Paul

emm1 10:14 10 Dec 03

I have tried to do the above but in the control panel there is not a folder called System. I am using Windows ME

Emma

plsndrs3 10:26 10 Dec 03

Is there a modem icon or similar? How about add hardware?

The important questions at the moment are: is there a dialing tone on your phone line if you pick up the receiver & is the line properly connected to the PC? I know it sounds silly, but you are not getting a 'cannot find modem' fault, just a 'unable to get dialing tone'. This implies that the modem is there [&, presumably, working OK which is what the suggestion above would check] but it cannot communicate with the outside world ....

Paul

emm1 11:15 10 Dec 03

The only available icons in Control Panel are Ptinters, Internet Options, Fonts & Add / Remove.
The phone line works correctly and the modem is plugged into the computer.

Emma

plsndrs3 11:20 10 Dec 03

Will post a thread asking where Device Manager is on ME.

plsndrs3 11:41 10 Dec 03

Device manager is located here:

start>settings>control panel>system>device manager

plsndrs3 13:03 10 Dec 03

What was the issue & how was it resolved? It might help another Forum member with the same problem in the future

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…