Cannot 'find' graphics card or update driver

Valedictor 15:44 27 Oct 06

Hi all,

I mentioned this problem briefly in another thread (which was about a different problem) and I have not been able to resolve it as of yet.

I recently had to reformat my pc. After a lot of fuss, I now have it running again more or less, but I am stuck with 16 colours at the moment.

I downloaded Aida32 to tell me what my graphics components were, so that I could then proceed to find the drivers online and get my graphics capability back to normal.

If I open Aida, and click on Computer and then summary, under 'Display', Aida identifies my video adapter as:

Standard PCI graphics adapter (VGA) (64KB)

and my 3d accelerator as:

S3 SupersavageDDR

This is a built in component, and not a card as far as I can see when I look inside (the monitor plugs right into the built in component, and not a PCI card for example). I do apolgise, as my technical knowledge is extremely limited, hence my amateurish description!

Now for the problems:

1.) I looked on Driverguide.Com and the S3 site. I tried the drivers I could find, but none seemed to work. In fact, when you look on the S3 site, it lists the two Supersavage products there as 'mobile' products, rather than 'desktop' products, which I couldn't understand, as my computer is a desktop.

2.) When I click on 'display' and then 'PCI / AGP Video' in Aida32, it shows a little blue monitor icon with 'S3 ProSavageDDR (86c420)as the description, and underneath that it shows
a direct X icon with 'S3 SupersavageDDR' as the description. Am I therefore supposed to be looking for a ProSavage driver and not a Supersavage driver? I am confused as to which of these two entries is the one I should be concerned with.

3.) When I look in control panel / system / device manager, I cannot find any yellow exclamation marks that would indicate that the graphics card / accelerator is present, but missing its driver. Why isn't the device showing up as an unknown device in device manager if Aida32 can find it and identify it with no problems? More to the point, if I can't 'find' it in device manager, and I am not given a message when I rerstart the pc to tell me that there is an unknown device, how do I go about updating the driver if I ever manage to locate it online?

Thank you for any help you can offer. As you can tell, I am very much an amateur at these sort of things. Is an adapter and a 3d accelerator the same thing? (my asking this should give you some idea of my lack of knowledge!) I can get these sort of things to work when everything goes smoothly, but when it is as confusing as this, I get hopelessly stuck. It doesn't help that the Supersavage seems to be an unsupported product now...

Many thanks, Samantha xx

James. 15:58 27 Oct 06

click here and follow the link to the Win 98 driver, also if you are not sure use the graphics ID link near the bottom to ID what graphics you have.

Valedictor 16:20 27 Oct 06

Thanks James,

But what do I do with it once it has downloaded? How do tell the pc what component the driver is for if I can't see it in device manager?

Thanks, Samantha x

Valedictor 16:24 27 Oct 06

Oh, there is a setup program, so I'll give that a go! Sorry for previous question :)

Sam x

anskyber 16:27 27 Oct 06

I hope I have not misunderstood, if I have apols in advance. click here

Valedictor 19:01 27 Oct 06

All working perfectly now! Many thanks!

Sam x

Valedictor 19:01 27 Oct 06

resolved

anskyber 20:48 27 Oct 06

What did you do to fix it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…