cannot find freeview box signal on computer

si404 12:16 18 Jan 06

I have a sony desktop with three sockets (RGA, I think they're called) to take the scart lead from a DVD player or similar. I've connected these up to the freeview box but I cannot find any signal. I can get the DVD signal via them.

I'm using the Sony Giga Pocket software. Thinking this may be the problem I downloaded Chris TV, but that just confused me as I haven't a clue about what signals i'm recieving and how it should be processed.

I've spent ages trying to find the signal, I would be very grateful for any suggestions. Maybe I'm trying to do the impossible with an external box.

Stuartli 14:37 18 Jan 06

Chris TV, IIRC, like Showshifter, is for use with a PCI or USB TV card installed on your system.

Such a card (a Freeview DTV TV card) is the easiest way to get TV on your system. An example:

click here

or the Digital+Audio version like mine:

click here

which accepts inputs from VCRs, games consoles etc and allows both viewing and/or recording such inputs.

bluenote 00:39 19 Jan 06

if you are trying to use a tv set top digital receiver ,you need to connect it via a scart socket.You probably don't have one on your computer monitor.You need a dedicated pc card or one with a usb connection like the freecom BVB-t usb stick.

Stuartli 11:31 19 Jan 06

No computer monitor has ever been fitted with a Scart socket...:-)

si404 13:02 19 Jan 06

Thanks, but the connection for the scart lead is in the back of the computer, not the monitor. I can connect the scart lead from a DVD player (as a test) to the back of the computer and see the film perfectly on the monitor. When I connect the set top box instead via the same scart connection I get nothing. I don't understand...

For the amount of time I've now invested in trying to find the signal I should have bought the card instead!

Stuartli 15:13 19 Jan 06

I presume you mean that the Scart plug is attached to your DVD recorder and (probably) S-Video or RCA plugs to your computer system?

Re your Freeview box - try variations of RGB and Composite signals to the computer system (graphics card?).

My Pioneer Freeview set top box provides either as required to a TV but Composite is far superior to RGB input display wise.

Other TV sets are better with an RGB signal.

Stuartli 16:10 19 Jan 06

Links that might assist(!):

click here

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…