cannot enable Internet connection sharing help!

sehwhwh 02:21 12 May 05

when i try to enable internet connection sharing on my host computer i get this message:

" An error occured whileInternet Connection Sharing was enabled The specificed service does not exist as a installed device"

but the internet still works on the host computer and the network still funtions. Please help!

sehwhwh 03:48 12 May 05

i would need to reinstall Internet connection sharing somehow...but i need directions. i run win xp thanks

Brian-336451 12:29 12 May 05

Go to Control Panel and Network Setup Wizard - it's a very good tool, if you are running XP Firewall, it should configure it automatically, if not you MIGHT have to manually enter the IP address of the computers.

Even if you are using 3rd party firewall it's worth disabling it, enabling XP's own then running the wizard.

You can always sort out the firewalls as a separate issue.

sehwhwh 14:38 12 May 05

nah, network wizard doesnt work as the ICS is corrupted or something. what i need is directions on how to reinstall ICS...anyone ?

selfbuild 18:14 12 May 05

Try putting your XP disc in and then goto Start -> Run and type sfc /scannow (note the space between the c and the /)

Brian-336451 18:58 12 May 05

Sometimes with a recurring problem that SFC doesn't help with, I reinstall the OS over the top of the existing one, you don't lose anything and many times it'll sort out the problem as it detects the hardware during installation and selects appropriate drivers.

sehwhwh 05:18 13 May 05

hmm SFC is asking me to replace ALOT of dlls...would that roll back newer stuff like directx?

and what do you mean by reinstalling OS over my existing i just run the setup and it will check and fix problems instead of totaly reinstalling?

Arthur Scrimshaw 09:06 13 May 05

on the client pc, under network properties, tcp/ip properties is the default gateway set to the ip address of your host pc?

sehwhwh 11:48 13 May 05

yes its already set. my problem here is that i cannot enable ICS, theres a error message saying that the ICS service doesnt exist or something.

i need to know if theres anyway to solve the problem

selfbuild 18:08 13 May 05

SFC is the System File Checker for XP....

What dlls is asking to replace? Directx and such like should be unaffected....

Also, who is your ISP? The reason I ask is because I know that AOL does make changes to some of the system files and it could be these that are being flagged up.....

sehwhwh 12:41 14 May 05

na, i use network card to connect to the internet, so no files are insatlled by my ISP.

and i used the sfc but the problem still persists. any other suggestions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…