Cannot Drag and Drop Icons + Programs won't close

joseph k. 11:39 06 Sep 04

For the past few days I have had this problem intermittantly: When I try to drag and drop an Icon it will spring back to it's original place on the desktop. When this happens I invariably find that I am also unable to close programs, even the task manager gets stuck when I attempt to use it to put things right. I don't know if the following is a co-incidence, but I have not yet been able to use system restore to cure this either - the computer simply refuses to restore at any point. This can invariably be cured by rebooting, but then it all goes wrong again. This can happen after as little as five minutes, or perhaps it will be ok for 3 hours or so. I have read elsewhere that three rather obscure registry keys need changing e.g. {00000010E-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxystubClSid. I'll quote one of these verbatim, as the other two are very similar: SHOULD BE Unnamed value of type REG_ SZ which is set to {00000030C-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}. Frankly, this is 'all Greek to me', especially as no explanation is proffered. 'Luckily' it began to happen about 36 hours before I installed SP2, so I know it isn't this that's causing it. Does anybody have any less frightening ideas than messing around in the registry without explanation Please.

Diodorus Siculus 11:55 06 Sep 04

Try the system file checker if it still works:

sfc /scannow

joseph k. 12:52 06 Sep 04

Thanks Diodorus Siculus. That seemed to work fine. At least it scanned the disk and hasn't told me otherwise. I hope it isn't a HDD problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…