Cannot download Word attachment in Open Office

Charlie Babbage 21:50 17 Nov 07

A friend has Windows XP and he cannot download a standard MS Word document which is an email attachment in Open Office.

Any possible solutions would be appreciated.

VoG II 22:00 17 Nov 07

How do you mean he can't download it? Can't he save the attachment?

Charlie Babbage 22:03 17 Nov 07

... he can't directly open the attachment to read it.

Dipso 23:10 17 Nov 07

Does he not have MS Word or Open Office?

Charlie Babbage 23:18 17 Nov 07

... his version of MS Office is a trial version which has now expired.He has tried opening the document in Open Office.

Would it be best to remove the trial version of MS Office to see if that might solve the problem?

Dipso 23:21 17 Nov 07

What is the reason he can't open it with OO? Is the files associated to MS Word?

johnnyrocker 23:22 17 Nov 07

has the other party actually got a paper clip to click on? and what is the error message they get? saying they cant open or download is very vague for to provide decent help.

johnny.

Simsy 09:25 18 Nov 07

That perhaps the Word Doc has been made with Word 2007, and saved in Word 2007 format, which I think is outside the capability of OpenOffice...

If I'm correct then either the sender needs to resave the document as an earlier doc format, or you can get the word "viewer", which is a free download from Microsft.

Regards,

simsy

Simsy 09:28 18 Nov 07

click here

I think you'll need the 2003 viewer, and the compatibility pack.

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…