Cannot download from the internet

rchick 20:08 02 May 04

I have just repaired a computer for a friend who did not have any virus scanning software installed. He had picked up a Netsky virus. After installing McAfee virus scan I have managed to get the machine running again except that Outlook Express and Inetrnet Excplorer will no download any information (404 error. =The modem connects OK to both ISP's that I have tried and then the computer just sits there doing nothing when I try to use OE or IE. I beleive that the owner had also tried without success to down load in his words "some file sharing software" Any advise would be appreciated.

Dan the Confused 20:32 02 May 04

Try click here to download and run LSPFIX (worth reading the readme first though).

No idea if it'll work but you can but try!

rchick 20:59 02 May 04

To Dan the Confused although I have given the computer back to my friend still with the fault but reading the information you have directed me towards it would appear to be what I require to fix the machine. From what I remember and common name are files that apppear on the machine. Thanks for you prompt response I will have get the machine back and try to fix it.

Dan the Confused 21:47 02 May 04

If these nasties are on the machine then definately download Ad-Aware from click here and Spybot S&D from click here

Update them and run them

Tell your friend not to touch p2p (file sharing) with a bargepole as it is more trouble than it's worth (in my opinion, anyway).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…