Cannot download from internet -

Rikardos 10:54 02 Feb 04

I'm having a major problem with the internet at the moment - the long and short of it is that I can't download ANYTHING from the net. Every time I click on a link, I get the initial window pop up with the piece of paper flying between the folders, and then the message "Cannot download [File name] from [Web address]

And then something like The Server is down or web page cannot be accessed. Please try again later.

However, I've been onto the people at Blueyonder (my ISP) and they don't know what is causing it, as there's nothing wrong with the signal at their end, and obviously I'm able to surf the net in the first place.

I've done a complete reinstall of Windows XP to see if this would do it but I'm still getting the same message, and I've tried doing it with my Firewall switched off (Mcfee Firewall ver.4) but got the same again.

Can anyone help me?

Specs:
IE ver.6.
Windows XP Home Edition
Broadband connection
Athlon 2800+
120GB hard drive
1GB DDR3200 Memory
Mcfee Firewall
Norton Antivirus 2004

Diodorus Siculus 11:09 02 Feb 04

click here
to try to repair IE - it might help.

Stuartli 11:34 02 Feb 04

Have you checked the Security and Privacy settings? They may be set too high.

See:

click here

for a full explanation by MS of the various settings and how to configure them.

Stuartli 11:35 02 Feb 04

Have you checked the Security and Privacy settings? They may be set too high.

See:

click here

for a full explanation by MS of the various settings and how to configure them.

Rikardos 09:57 03 Feb 04

Okay, well I've still got the same problem with IE6 - my security settings are on Medium, which I've previously had no problem with (having had it on this before this problem became apparent).

However, I don't get the same problem with Mozilla when I put that on my computer (version 1.6). However, when I click on any link from google a message comes up saying that my security mode is deactivated and it might be because of some files which are read-only blah blah but none of them are. Are these issues connected (not being that familar with Mozilla)?

I've also tried the uninstall/repair methods indicated by Diodorus but still no luck. I'm very tempted to just format the hard drive and start again from scratch as this is very annoying!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5