Cannot disconnect modem

MilesSmith 13:43 15 Aug 03

Hi, I am on my fathers computer, he is running windows 2000 professional, and connecting to the internet using a dial up connection through a diamond SupraExpreess56e PRO modem. Until recently this has worked fine, but over the past few days, we have been unable to disconnect from the internet using the network (two monitors) icon in the tool bar. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can remedy this? is it just a case of obtaining a new modem script?

TechMad 13:55 15 Aug 03

Pull the modem cable out of the telephone socket. What happens? Does the network connection icon dissappear?

MilesSmith 14:20 15 Aug 03

Yes the icon disappears

Diemmess 15:20 15 Aug 03

Have had this happen to me very occasionally, and like TechMad I just pull the plug if I want to avoid complete shutdown.

It only seems to happen when browsing through a series of links and detailed side-shoots.

I wonder if it could be some aggresive ad. or cookie. It seems to be avoidable when screens are taking too long to display, by coming right out and back to desktop and then reloading the ISP - so it could just be a memory handling problem.

catcha125 23:40 22 Oct 04

When I try to sigh off AOL sometimes (not always)I find it is still on and the only way to disconnect is to switch off the computer altogether. I have been in touch with PC World and AOL but I am still having the same problem, it is so annoying.

Migwell 01:01 23 Oct 04

Best to swich off if you use AOL it's not worth the hassle

THE TERMINATOR 01:23 23 Oct 04

Have you tried deleting the modem in device manager and re-booting you pc will enable windows to recognise your modem again. If this does'nt work, have you got the latest drivers from their web site....T

Diemmess 10:26 23 Oct 04

Am using Aol BB and Windows 2K now, and do not have these problems, but by far the surest way on the few occasions when I did, was to "pull the modem plug!" The system wakes up, says it has lost the connection, and can then be quietly shut down or at least rebooted.

W98SE and memory handling problems, both might be contributing factors.

(Terminator - Aol updates automatically as and when. At the end of a session it pops up with the message that it is sending an update and that you won't be charged for this time.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…