Cannot delete some files

Quilljar 23:43 10 Apr 04

Since having Win XP re-installed I find that I cannot delete or move new shortcut icons on my desktop. Also, I cannot move or work any new .exe files downloaded from the internet.
Is there a way to release this problem?

I guess something is trying to protect me, but what? I have turned off ZoneAlarm and my virus protector (AVG) but this does not help.

hugh-265156 23:50 10 Apr 04

there could be lots of reasons why you cannot delete a files etc.

are you the administrator?

do you get any errors when trying to delete files?

have you run an up to date antivirus just in case?

also have a read click here may help

Quilljar 00:04 11 Apr 04

Yes I am the admininistrator, yes I do get error messages, yes I have run the very latest anti virus, anti spyware and anti Adware. I can't help feeling that it is actually one of my own protective devices that is causing the problem, but I can't figure out which...I thought some intelligent reader might have had the same trouble.

hugh-265156 00:09 11 Apr 04

can you tell us the error you recieve when trying to delete the files please?

hugh-265156 00:10 11 Apr 04

also the name of the file or exe may also help a bit.

Quilljar 10:58 11 Apr 04

I get,

Cannot delete Shortcut to GARDEN.EXE: Access is denied.
'Make sure that the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.'

the other files are a shortcut to a .doc file

These files do not show a proper icon either, they have the all-purpose Windows icon of an unidentified file.

These are shortcuts that I have dragged and dropped there. If I use the Edit menu and cut and paste, I get a normal working shortcut.

Megatyte 11:55 11 Apr 04

Have you tried deleting them in safe mode?

AH

anon1 12:09 11 Apr 04

Make sure that they are not in the start up folder you could also do a ctrl alt del and stop them if they are in fact still running in the background.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…