Cannot delete some files

Quilljar 23:43 10 Apr 04

Since having Win XP re-installed I find that I cannot delete or move new shortcut icons on my desktop. Also, I cannot move or work any new .exe files downloaded from the internet.
Is there a way to release this problem?

I guess something is trying to protect me, but what? I have turned off ZoneAlarm and my virus protector (AVG) but this does not help.

hugh-265156 23:50 10 Apr 04

there could be lots of reasons why you cannot delete a files etc.

are you the administrator?

do you get any errors when trying to delete files?

have you run an up to date antivirus just in case?

also have a read click here may help

Quilljar 00:04 11 Apr 04

Yes I am the admininistrator, yes I do get error messages, yes I have run the very latest anti virus, anti spyware and anti Adware. I can't help feeling that it is actually one of my own protective devices that is causing the problem, but I can't figure out which...I thought some intelligent reader might have had the same trouble.

hugh-265156 00:09 11 Apr 04

can you tell us the error you recieve when trying to delete the files please?

hugh-265156 00:10 11 Apr 04

also the name of the file or exe may also help a bit.

Quilljar 10:58 11 Apr 04

I get,

Cannot delete Shortcut to GARDEN.EXE: Access is denied.
'Make sure that the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.'

the other files are a shortcut to a .doc file

These files do not show a proper icon either, they have the all-purpose Windows icon of an unidentified file.

These are shortcuts that I have dragged and dropped there. If I use the Edit menu and cut and paste, I get a normal working shortcut.

Megatyte 11:55 11 Apr 04

Have you tried deleting them in safe mode?

AH

anon1 12:09 11 Apr 04

Make sure that they are not in the start up folder you could also do a ctrl alt del and stop them if they are in fact still running in the background.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…