Cannot delete or move file

SteevScotland 23:46 23 Mar 03

I have a divx video file that I want to delete. But when I try I get the following error message

"Cannot delete holiday: It is being used by another person or program."

No one else is logged on to my PC and the only program running is windows. A simmilar message is also displayed when I try to move the file.

How can I delete this file? Am I missing something obvious?

Cheers S

woodchip 23:50 23 Mar 03

Restart your comp then try

AMD_MAN23 23:52 23 Mar 03

try booting into safe mode, also did you download this from the internet?.

c.b.

Giggle n' Bits 23:52 23 Mar 03

there are a few programes and things running in the background that you will not know as you say above.

This is most likly a needed system file or application file for one of your programmes. If you right click on it where does it reside or say its full name etc.

Or do a file search and see which folder this is in. Even If its not needed by you I would leave it be.

SteevScotland 23:52 23 Mar 03

I have tried. I have been trying to delete the file for a few days now.

Cheers S

woodchip 23:55 23 Mar 03

You need to delete from Dos, but if you do not know how to get to it then you have a problem

SteevScotland 23:55 23 Mar 03

I did download it from a friends website. Its video of our holiday.

Cheers S

SteevScotland 23:57 23 Mar 03

I know nothing of how to use dos Im afraid.

SteevScotland 23:59 23 Mar 03

The full name is Holiday#1.avi. It is stored in My Documents. It cant be a system file. can it?

Cheers S

winstonwolf 00:06 24 Mar 03

i guess you are using xp and i've had this problem , sometimes after a few reboots it will let u delete or move but what i have found works on occasions is to right click the file and select "cut" , then when the icon has faded , delete the file .

SteevScotland 00:12 24 Mar 03

Hi

I am using Xp. I have tried several reboots. Tried your tip about cutting the file first. Still no luck.

Cheers S

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…