Cannot DELETE or MOVE email in Outlook INBOX

BibleGuru 11:18 29 Jul 03

I'm using Outlook 2000, on a XPHome system.
On 4 July a junk email was downloaded, which by-passed my antispam detection and Outlook filtering - you know the type of spam that offers penis enlargement!

Anyhow, I cannot perform any functions on this email message, and when I try to, the following message occurs:

"Errors have been detected in the file 'spam mail' - Quit all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox Repair Tool"

I cannot find ant Inbox Repair Tool in the HELP menu, but I have ran the "Detect and Repair" utility in the HELP menu, which prompted me to load my Office2000 CD, which I did, and I can see no change to my Outlook even after rebooting.

I have ran Norton Antivirus on the file but it is not a problem, even though it was automatically checked when it entered my Inbox.
I have ran Scandisk but with no effect.
I have defragmented the harddrive but with no effect.
I have looked at previous articles on this helproom database but none of the solutions there have been relevant.

Any suggestions?

temp003 11:52 29 Jul 03

The file you need for the Inbox Repair Tool is scanpst.exe

Not sure where it is in XP. Try C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033

Or just search for the file on your computer. Double click the file, and presumably follow the prompts.

Also, click here

BibleGuru 11:53 29 Jul 03

I have looked for Scanpst.exe file on my Office2000 CD to see if I can run the Inbox Repair Tool, but such an application is not on either of the CDs!

I need some way of getting into the outlook.pst file and specifically targeting the 'spam file' that I can't remove from within Outlook.

fitshase 11:57 29 Jul 03

Have you tried importing your mail files into Outlook Express and deleting it from there?

Regards

Fitshase

BibleGuru 12:04 29 Jul 03

Thanks Temp003.

The Scanpst.exe file was located on my Harddrive at C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\NT

I pointed it at the Outlook.pst file and there were some errors detected and subsequently repaired.

This problem is now solved.

BibleGuru 12:07 29 Jul 03

I think it would be very helpful of MS to have a link to the Inbox Repair Tool within the Help Menu of Outlook.

temp003 12:11 29 Jul 03

Yes, I agree. It's rather silly. They need to post a special article on how to find it! click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…