Cannot delete folder

obi wan 12:12 22 Feb 05

Win XP Home.

I have searched the helproom, following previous given advice. Downloaded Dr Delete and MoveOnBoot.
Still no success.

I have a folder in My Docs named "Important Documents". I cannot get access to it. Access denied cannot delete file make sure it is not in use etc.

I have a backup of this folder and everything in it is ok, but I cannot access, rename or delete the original folder, either in safe mode or with the two above mentioned utilities.

When I view the file in explorer it is slightly greyed out.

Any ideas gratefully accepted.

Yoda Knight 12:18 22 Feb 05

try starting in safe mode and deleting it from there

recap 12:20 22 Feb 05

"Access denied cannot delete file make sure it is not in use" have you looked in the "Process" application to see if it is running in the back ground?

If you can see it there, stop the process, then you may be able to delete it.

obi wan 12:20 22 Feb 05

Thanks Yoda, but tried it.

but I cannot access, rename or delete the original folder, either in safe mode or with the two above mentioned utilities.

obi wan 12:20 22 Feb 05

Thanks Yoda, but tried it.

but I cannot access, rename or delete the original folder, either in safe mode or with the two above mentioned utilities.

obi wan 12:23 22 Feb 05

Recap
I have looked there and there is no sign of it in Process

VoG II 12:31 22 Feb 05

click here (possibly).

sattman 12:39 22 Feb 05

Or try this if it is a protected file

Open the Command Prompt window and leave it open. Close all open programs. Click Start, Run and enter TASKMGR.EXE Go to the Processes tab and End Process on Explorer.exe. Leave Task Manager open. Go back to the Command Prompt window and change to the directory of the file to delete is located in. At the command prompt type DEL <filename where <filename is the file you wish to delete. Go back to Task Manager, click File, New Task and enter EXPLORER.EXE to restart the GUI shell. Close Task Manager.

obi wan 12:54 22 Feb 05

VoG™

Thank you very much. I have spent a couple of hours with no success. 12:15 I started the thread and you resolved it at 12:31.

Thanks to all who read or helped.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…