Cannot delete files from CD-R using Windows XP

bkk-bkk 19:29 13 Mar 03

I burn ordinary data files to a CD-R on my Toshiba Satellite 2410 using Windows XP Explorer to create a back-up. When I add new files I want to delete some of the old files but cannot. Even if I move the file within the CD-R it leaves a copy behind. I realise that I will not recover the space on the CD-R but I would like to delete the old files to avoid confusion when adding new data files at a later date.

MAJ 19:32 13 Mar 03

You can't delete files from a CD-R, bkk-bkk, once they're burnt on, they're there to stay. Maybe you're thinking of a CD-RW disk.

anchor 19:36 13 Mar 03

As MAJ says, this is impossible with CD-R. If you wish to do this you should use CD-RW.

Stuartli 19:41 13 Mar 03

To get maximum use out of the CD-R if you are using it for backup you have to use multisession mode; each time you have to import the previous file folder and add the new files to it.

When the CD-R is full you will have to start with a new one.

As already stated, you cannot delete files from a CD-R - they are permanently burned on the disk.

bkk-bkk 19:45 13 Mar 03

Guys - as I said in my original request I realise that the file cannot be entirely deleted. What I want to do is remove it from the TOC. I used to be able to do this easily on my previous laptop when I had an external HP CD writer but cannot do it with the internal CD-R on my new Toshiba. I'm reluctant to install the old HP program on the new laptop.

bkk-bkk 19:46 13 Mar 03

Guys - as I said in my original request I realise that the file cannot be entirely deleted. What I want to do is remove it from the TOC. I used to be able to do this easily on my previous laptop when I had an external HP CD writer but cannot do it with the internal CD-R on my new Toshiba. I'm reluctant to install the old HP program on the new laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…