Cannot delete files from CD-R using Windows XP

bkk-bkk 19:29 13 Mar 03

I burn ordinary data files to a CD-R on my Toshiba Satellite 2410 using Windows XP Explorer to create a back-up. When I add new files I want to delete some of the old files but cannot. Even if I move the file within the CD-R it leaves a copy behind. I realise that I will not recover the space on the CD-R but I would like to delete the old files to avoid confusion when adding new data files at a later date.

MAJ 19:32 13 Mar 03

You can't delete files from a CD-R, bkk-bkk, once they're burnt on, they're there to stay. Maybe you're thinking of a CD-RW disk.

anchor 19:36 13 Mar 03

As MAJ says, this is impossible with CD-R. If you wish to do this you should use CD-RW.

Stuartli 19:41 13 Mar 03

To get maximum use out of the CD-R if you are using it for backup you have to use multisession mode; each time you have to import the previous file folder and add the new files to it.

When the CD-R is full you will have to start with a new one.

As already stated, you cannot delete files from a CD-R - they are permanently burned on the disk.

bkk-bkk 19:45 13 Mar 03

Guys - as I said in my original request I realise that the file cannot be entirely deleted. What I want to do is remove it from the TOC. I used to be able to do this easily on my previous laptop when I had an external HP CD writer but cannot do it with the internal CD-R on my new Toshiba. I'm reluctant to install the old HP program on the new laptop.

bkk-bkk 19:46 13 Mar 03

Guys - as I said in my original request I realise that the file cannot be entirely deleted. What I want to do is remove it from the TOC. I used to be able to do this easily on my previous laptop when I had an external HP CD writer but cannot do it with the internal CD-R on my new Toshiba. I'm reluctant to install the old HP program on the new laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…