Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source ..

Sirpad 16:07 14 Apr 08

I have using CCleaner for some time now and am very happy with it. However there are now quite a few files that it just 'will not' delete.
When i go into Tools/Interner Options/Settings/View Files I can see these files but I can't delete them there either. I've tried moving them to the Recycle Bin but I get the message...

'Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk'

I've read other posts with similar problems and see that Unlock has been mentioned. I tried that but to no avail.
Any other ideas?

rossgolf 16:11 14 Apr 08

try deletin in safe mod

VoG II 16:17 14 Apr 08

Try this click here

skidzy 16:21 14 Apr 08

You can try taking ownership of the files in question;

How to take ownership of a file
Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials.

To take ownership of a file, follow these steps:

1. Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).

3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

4. In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

The administrator or the Administrators group now owns the file. To change the permissions on the files and folders under this folder, go to step 5.

5. Click Add.

6. In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user or group account that you want to give access to the file. For example, type Administrator.

7. Click OK.

8. In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and then select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that user.

9. When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.

rabadubdub 16:22 14 Apr 08

..of files are they? Have you tried deleting in Safe Mode (press F8 repeatedly, after the P.O.S.T beep, when you do a restart. -some OEMs differ).
There's a handy shutdown utility called 'BootSafe' also available, which you can find by searching the net.
Make sure all (relevant) programs are closed, in any case, when you are deleting files.. some may be in use. I know CCleaner can delete some files on restarting in these cases.

Rab

rabadubdub 16:26 14 Apr 08

..also you might try checking the Read Only properties - simply right-click the file and uncheck the Read Only box.

rabadubdub 16:27 14 Apr 08

D'you think you could explain your links rather than just saying try thai, or click here?
Thanks

Sirpad 16:28 14 Apr 08

Thanks guys.

Rossgolf - Will try that thanks.

VoG™ - Will try Cleanup after I do my weekly backup tomorrow.

skidzy - When I right click file I don't get a Security tab, only a General tab.

Sirpad 16:41 14 Apr 08

rabadubdub - If you click the 'click here' in Vog's posting you'll understand better.

rabadubdub 17:22 14 Apr 08

Sirpad - I'd rather know why and where I'm being taken before I click anything. I'm not in favour of a pig-in-a-poke, as the saying goes.
VoG's not alone in not explaining what's at the end of the links - it's a common trait in many fora. Still bugs me. It's just a lazy habit people have.

Technotiger 17:46 14 Apr 08

I've heard of being cautious, but that is ridiculous. Where on earth would we be without the ability to create quick links, without the need to offer full explanations - surely that is what the quick-links are for!

I personally feel it is something of an insult to our integrity, on this particular forum anyway, akin to saying you do not trust us.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now