Cannot create Dial Up account in XP Pro

Geldon 23:09 27 Jan 03

Hi all, a recent computer freeze/crash forced me to re-install XP Pro, (repairing it from the CD didn't work) but now my shortcut to my dial-up account doesn't work (hence no internet access) and XP won't let me create a new one. Traced the problem to Remote Access Connection Manager not running. When it is forced to start (in Services), error pops up "Could not start the RACM service on local computer. Error 5: Access is denied". Remote Access Auto Connection Manager also has the same prob i.e. it isn't running and fails to start manually. Is this an administrator account problem or a registry problem? Please help, I don't fancy re-formatting (I thought I'd left all that behind with W98!)

jazzypop 00:02 28 Jan 03

See if this helps - click here

temp003 07:14 28 Jan 03

If you had installed SP1, then reinstalled XP over the existing one, that would be the cause of your problem. You need to re-install SP1 if you can get hold of it, or do a registry fix.

click here for a recent thread.

click here for the Microsoft article.

Geldon 21:35 28 Jan 03

Hi to Jazzypop and Temp003 - thanks ever so much guys (or gals!) Excellent pointers from both of you which will hopefully fix my prob. I haven't started yet but as soon as I do, I'll pop back in to let you all know. Once again, thanks very much.

Geldon 00:50 29 Jan 03

Jazzypop and Temp003, you are flippin' brill! Popped round to me neighbours and borrowed his copy of SP 1 (couldn't find mine - buried under so much rubbish around my comp!) and what do you know - everything works - sweet as a nut! Thanks guys/gals, I'm extremely grateful for your help - Cheers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…