Cannot connet with netgear wireless card

Chris251 21:20 22 Oct 07

Hello,
I have the BT home hub but I can only access the internet use the ethernet connection. My laptop is a few years old so I had to buy a wireless card. I have installed Netgear WG511T and it seems to be installed ok but when I try to connect using wireless the signal is strong but it states 'This connection has limited or no connectivity'.
Can someone please advise what I need to do to set up wireless properly.
Thank you

daxian 22:36 22 Oct 07

hi chris251...
the limited connectivity is usually a sign that the router is not giving an ip address to you pc (card).
get the latest drivers for the card and see if that improves things . Dave.

ambra4 04:47 23 Oct 07

Go this site and go down to “Connection via wireless section”

click here

Chris251 18:59 23 Oct 07

Thank you both daxian & ambra4 for your replies.
I thought I was quite computer literate until I tried to go wireless.
Im not sure about the driver so I tried the website you gave me ambra4. I followed all the instructions, logged onto BT homehub and everything seemed to be ok. When I tried to connect it said 'limited connectivity'again I clicked repair and it said this was because it could not renew my IP address. Can either of you tell me how to do this?
Sorry if I am doing something completely wrong and I really appreciate your help with this.

ambra4 19:30 23 Oct 07

check this wireless sections

#Can't connect via hub#

click here

bowman 20:48 23 Oct 07

I had a similar problem, "limited connectivity"

My Laptop built-in wi-fi adapter would not connect to my Netgear WG843gt router.

I changed the security settings in the router and the laptop from WEP to WPA-PSK, and it worked. Worth a try?

Hope this helps.

cheers
Phil

bowman 20:53 23 Oct 07

oops! that should read Netgear DG834GT router.

daxian 21:10 23 Oct 07

hi chris251.....
the router is not the problem ....the wireless card is ....update the drivers .
easy to do... goto the netgear site dowload the latest driver ,uninstall the software you have in now ,then run the new driver software.
even though you just got the card, newer drivers will be available and will solve the problem you are having.Dave

Chris251 18:58 25 Oct 07

Hello Dave,

It worked!!! thank you very much. I finally put all the wires in the box where they belong.
Thank you to Phil & ambra4 for replying too.
Christine

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…