Cannot connect using Internet Connection Sharing

Tricky Dicky 268 21:51 10 Jun 04

I have two networked pc's at home. The Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) pc runs Windows XP home, the client pc runs Windows 98. Last week the client pc stopped being able to connect to the internet and Internet Explorer 6 began to produce an error message, the gist of which was "Internet Explorer has encountered an error and needs to close. If the problem persists please restart your computer". I reinstalled IE6 but that did not solve the problem, and as the pc (which is used by all members of the family) had a lot of junk on it, it I restored the hard disk to factory condition. With the ICS pc logged on to the Internet I ran the ICS Client disk program, and initially I saw the google screen which I had set as the home screen, but now it says "Cannot find server or DNS error". When I first set up ICS, I think that was all I did, but the client pc still cannot connect to the Internet. The ICS icon used to be visible in the system tray, but it is not there now. I have tried setting the IP address manually to 192.168.0.2 with a subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and I have set the Default Gateway to 192.168.0.1 (which agrees with the ICS computer). I have looked at the help screen within Windows 98 but still cannot figure out what is wrong. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

caast©? 22:19 10 Jun 04

sorry I cannot help but just want to get your thread into my postings as you can see I am having the same problems.

I too have forced the IP addresses manually but still not getting the ICS. Everything was fine before I reformatted the XP computer.

Tricky Dicky 268 10:27 12 Jun 04

The problem is not with Internet Connection Sharing - it is the Zone Alarm V5 upgrade. See the threads posted 11/6/04. I have restored to pre-installation of Zone Alarm V5 and my Internet Connection Sharing is fine.

You have been warned!

Tricky Dicky 268

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…