Cannot connect to Tiscali dial-up using Outlook Ex

Robbiegt 20:10 19 Apr 08

I have been attempting to resolve a problem for my mother-in-law who lives quite a long distance away from me. Since about February she cannot connect to Tiscali dial-up.- when she attempts to dial-in she hears ringing tone but no connection is made. I have taken her through all the check-lists for Internet Explorer/Outlook Express settings and am sure these are all ok. A neighbour set up an alternative ISP (Ecosse) and she can access her 'Tiscali' e-mails via this new connection on web-mail. We have tested her connection using the following procedure : Start/RUN/cmd /telnet pop.tiscali.co.uk 110/enter/USER/e-mail address/enter/PASS/ password/enter - received the 'OK Well done' message.
We have re-installed 'Windows XP Service Pack 2, and lastly installed 'Windows Explorer 7. Still cannot connect to Tiscali e-mails using Outlook Express - Dialling tone only! Can someone please help?

brundle 20:12 19 Apr 08

Have you actually checked/dialled the number yourself? Even without a modem at your end you should get that tuneful shrieking noise.

Clapton is God 20:15 19 Apr 08

Two questions:

What's "Windows Explorer 7"? Or do you mean Internet Explorer 7?

Is Outlook Express set up as per Tiscali's requirements? click here

Robbiegt 20:26 19 Apr 08

I have dialled the number myself (0844 052 9009)
Sorry I meant to type 'Internet Explorer 7 - not Windows Explorer 7.
Outlook Express set up has been checked against Tiscali's requirements - all ok. Many thanks for such fast responses.

brundle 20:34 19 Apr 08

Any error messages? Check to see if you can generate a modem log file - click here

Robbiegt 21:04 19 Apr 08

I cannot get the answers re 'error messages' and 'modem log file' until tomorrow - will revert then. Many thanks meantime.

Robbiegt 21:15 19 Apr 08

Just managed to get hold of my mother-in-law. She had noted the following error codes etc and has written them down:-

error 554 - most frequent error code seen
error 777
socket error: 11004
error 0x800cccdd

brundle 21:22 19 Apr 08

Error 554 seems to be server rejecting the communication, the 0x800 error appears to relate to IMAP servers. What are the account settings - IMAP or POP3?
It suggests a connection is actually being made....or am I mistaken - can she access the internet via IE even if she can't check emails?

Robbiegt 21:30 19 Apr 08

The account settings are POP3 - I have these double-checked. She cannot access the internet via IE - only via 'Ecosse', through which she can access her 'Tiscali' e-mails.

brundle 21:48 19 Apr 08

Wierd. I can't think why it would access one ISP OK and not another with the same computer/modem etc. Is call-waiting enabled on the line? You've probably been to this page but I'll post it anyway; click here

Stuartli 22:22 19 Apr 08

Also check that Wait for a Dial Tone is Enabled, along with Tone (not Pulse).

Other points are that in Outlook Express, the Hang Up after Checking for Messages box may have been inadvertently Enabled or 1571 is being used and there are undeleted messages; a varying dial tone will indicate if this is the case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…