Cannot connect speakers

Taram 18:34 02 Aug 03

I have just bought a Packard bell slimview 500 Monitor, I have set it all up but there is nowhere on the monitor to connect my speakers, my speakers have three connections, two of the connections go in to the back of the computer and the third connection should go in to the back of the monitor, like it did on my old monitor, but there is nowhere on this new monitor to connect the third connection, so I would be very grateful for any advice. Thank you

ams4127 19:12 02 Aug 03

I think you will find that the third connection also goes to the sound card on the computer. I found it was just a case of figuring out which connections went where on a trial and error basis.

Taram 10:59 03 Aug 03

I have looked at the back of my computer, and there is nowhere to connect the third cable, would I be able to buy speakers that just plugged in to the computer?

DieSse 12:48 03 Aug 03

What are the three conections actually for? This may give a clue as to where they go.

graham√ 16:42 03 Aug 03

Perhaps your old monitor had a built-in microphone.

Taram 18:18 03 Aug 03

The three connections for the speakers at the back of the computer are colour coded, there is a pink one for the microphone, a blue one which looks to be for the sound and a green one which I am not sure what it is for, the connections on my speakers are also colour coded, I have a pink one a green one and a grey DC connector, I have plugged in the pink and the green, but there is nowhere for the DC connector to go,I tried plugging it in to the blue connection but it does not fit.

Djohn 18:26 03 Aug 03

What shape is this DC connector?

DieSse 18:30 03 Aug 03

The grey DC connector is the power for the speakers. A standard tower does not supply such power, so you will have to find an alternative source, or buy a pair on standard speakers.

The green is the sound out of your tower, and into the speakers. Pink is for a microphone - is there a mic input on the front of the speakers? - then this is just the onward connection for the mic.

The other one on your tower is line-in, for feeding sound into the tower. Not used in your or most cases.

DieSse 18:36 03 Aug 03

PS - any and all computer shops will have a choice of respectable budget speakers at very reasonable prices - and they will all suit your system.

Taram 18:43 03 Aug 03

Thanks for your help, I will buy some more speakers.

wee eddie 21:16 03 Aug 03

I assume that the Monitor has it's own, separate, power supply.

It is just possible that your speaker power connection fits into that somewhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…