Cannot connect to the net.

ZootHornRollo 08:51 06 Aug 09

My other laptop will not connect to the net.
It is a Toshiba running XP and works fine running other programmes.

It normally connects automatically using a wireless connection. The icons in the bottom right corner change as normal, going green to confirm connection and if I hover over they say the connection is 'excellent'.

But in reality it is not connected. Neither Firefox or IE can make a connection to any site. And updating AVG without using any browser confirms that no connection is or can be made.

I have tried Ethernet cable connection and the various diagnose / repair tools available without success.

Any suggestions?

accordion 08:54 06 Aug 09

Have you got a firewall installed? Has it blocked access to the router?

Dave

Field Division 10:26 06 Aug 09

Try this click here

ZootHornRollo 21:10 06 Aug 09

tried both the firewall option and the reset of the protocol. Sadly neither of them worked

accordion 07:34 07 Aug 09

Try rebooting the router.

Dave

Field Division 13:11 09 Aug 09

Dont know if you have tried reseting the winsoc click here

ZootHornRollo 20:12 09 Aug 09

Tried the Reboot and reset of winsoc - still no change I'm afraid. But thanks for the tips anyway.
Looks like I am going to have to take it in for a repair job

ZootHornRollo 20:12 09 Aug 09

Tried the Reboot and reset of winsoc - still no change I'm afraid. But thanks for the tips anyway.
Looks like I am going to have to take it in for a repair job

Number six 00:08 10 Aug 09

for PCA to have a star as famous and revered as your good self posting to it's humble forums. Sorry to hear of your computer woes! Still love TroutMR and the Mallard albums hold some dear memories for me. Was recently holidaying in Gloucestershire - is it true that the second Mallard LP was recorded at Clearwell Castle near the Wye Valley? I remember seeing this place back in the 1980's, it was very run-down and appeared to be completely uninhabited, but presently a very high-class hotel.

ZootHornRollo 22:38 10 Aug 09

Thanks - Have you checked out "We Saw A Bozo Under The Sea"?

glad you like the ouevre - not many do .... 'Clear Spot' is my favorite but keep that to yourself

and still my laptop won't work. Life is so unfair sometimes. Any tips number six?

accordion 23:06 10 Aug 09

Try changing the security key for the wireless network.

Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos