cannot connect laptop to netgear wireless router

hgrock 08:11 11 Sep 05

i have a wireless router that is wired to my desktop PC, works great. if i connect my laptop by wire i have internet access also. but i cannot get it to connect wirelessly. it finds the connection but cannot connect it also finds 2 other connections although weak conects to one of them and i can use the internet ( don't know who they are) but although it sees mine and with 98% signal strength , no connection. Please any suggestions

Taff36 08:33 11 Sep 05

Which wireless router and is the laptop wireless enabled or are you using a wifi card / USB adapter. Makes and models please.

You should have a connection icon in the bottom right taskbar which you can click and select your connection. then set up a profile for your laptop connection and make it your preferred one. However if you have a wifi card or adapter this may have switched to the manufacturers interface. ost back and we`ll sort it out.

hgrock 09:07 11 Sep 05

It ie netgear wireless router, and the laptop is sony Via wireless enabled , there is an icon on the task bar, it finds the router no probs. but would not connect to it. it would however connect to another connection that it finds not mine

Taff36 09:42 11 Sep 05

There should be two icons. One that looks like a monitor with wireless waves coming out from the right - this one confirms the connection, the other will be the Sony interface. It`s the latter we want. Double click it and you should have a configuration facility with multiple tabs across the top. Can you find it? I have a Sony Vio but not wireless enabled so I`ve got a card.

hgrock 12:38 11 Sep 05

there are the icons you mentioned, which works but insteadof connecting to my PC whose name is geiorge with fupp signal it connecte to skidoo88 who ever that is and the signal is weak although i can get on the net it goes off sometimes due the the signal going

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…